Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Any way to make unique versions of a master part?

GHamszGHamsz Member Posts: 32

I’m just getting started with OnShape, and I love the implementation.

I created a bolt with variables specifying the design parameters.

once I’ve got a particular bolt specified and the part drawn, can I make a copy of that part that no longer references the variables?

I’d like to create a number of 1/4 20 bolts of different lengths, and be able to use them in other designs.

I realize getting into the programmability side of OnShape would solve this handily, but was wondering if there’s a way to do this with programming, or by making a bunch of parts studios for each unique variation of the part.

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓

Take a look at configurations (tab on the right side of the Part Studio) - you'll be pleasantly surprised 😀

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓

Take a look at configurations (tab on the right side of the Part Studio) - you'll be pleasantly surprised 😀

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Making unique parts is one way to get different versions with slight variations. But you should look into using configurations. That way you could drop the same bolt into your assembly and then individually select your length from either a drop down or custom input.

• GHamszGHamsz Member Posts: 32

Thanks, entering Configuration variables in a Configuration Table is exactly what I was looking for.