Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I change the isometric view when building a part?

Sometimes when I make parts, the isometric view isn't the correct(like the iso ends up being the back of the part). It's when I'm still in the process of building the part, not when I am making a drawing. Is there any way I can change that?

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited November 2020
    Isometric view will always snap to the Top/Front/Right corner in 3D space.

If you want to snap to a different view often, then you can either rotate your part relative to the origin, or you can save a view using "Named Views" (shift+v)

But with named views, you will need to create each named view in every assembly, or part studio. So you're better off rotating the part instead of the camera.

Also the named views can be used in drawings as well. Incase you need it.
    If you want a perfect Iso from another angle in 3D space, then you can create a plane and view "normal to" that plane, then save the named view

• Options
    Scott_MorrisScott_Morris Member Posts: 17 EDU
    I realize this is an old post, but I am looking for some consistency between the view block in Solidworks and the view block in Onshape. In SWX, you can click the corners of the view block to get the desired ISO orientation very quickly. In Onshape, the same clicks on the view block always spin it to an unexpected location, not the orientation i am currently looking at. 

My current work around is to get the starting planar view i want and then apply a few clicks of vertical rotation followed by a few clicks or horizontal rotation.