Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is There a Way To Copy a Work Space To a New Doc and Preserve Version History?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
I get messed up with too many versions sometimes and a new copy of the current doc allows a fresh start, kind of a 'save as'  but reveals only the 'main' version. The other versions must be there in some form but I'd like to access them in the new doc copy. Is there a way to do so? Also realize this is pretty weak sauce and a bad method for doc management and perhaps should just manage versions better?

THANKS

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    No, there’s no way to carry the history over. Each entry in the version graph is a version in itself (internally called a microversion to distinguish it from a user saved version). When you copy a doc it is copying the selected microversion into a new doc so you lose all previous versions and branches. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,399
    Adding lots of versions does not affect the document at all other than perhaps finding the version you’re looking for. You can also rename older versions if you created one too early by mistake. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thank You as always Neil. I think the answer to my question is in the question itself. The option is 'Copy Workspace' so I can choose any current version, create a specific work space from that version, then copy that work space. Pretty flexible as I can create a version/workspace from any where in the current doc and create a new doc from there. Is that accurate?
  • Options
    EXCELLENT Neil - worked a treat.