Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Swept Profile Boolean Subtract

Answers

• Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    The context will always be there unless you delete it. It's basically a visual representation of the state the assembly was in when you created the in-context references. It isn't a copy and will only update if you want it to.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    The context selection in your screen shot is there if you want to "turn on" the last know state of the assembly. In case you want to view/edit/add anything to an older context. You can also update and rename from there.

Any feature that touches the ghost image (sketch relations/faces/transforms/etc...) will be linked to that touched entity. Whether or not that menu is on none or whatever.

In-context is not a configuration. Just a reference to an assembly
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    I'd assumed you had multiple instances of the same cabinet in the assembly, and therefore modifying the original was no good as it wouldn't be the same cut in each location. Lots of assumptions going on here!
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I'd assumed you had multiple instances of the same cabinet in the assembly, and therefore modifying the original was no good as it wouldn't be the same cut in each location. Lots of assumptions going on here!
    That's where my head was at too..
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    The context will always be there unless you delete it. It's basically a visual representation of the state the assembly was in when you created the in-context references. It isn't a copy and will only update if you want it to.

Should the context be active if the selected context is "none"?

I don't understand why I see the edit (the boolean operation) when I haven't selected a context. 

I can understand that I see the boolean operation when the proper context has been selected, but if I always see it, then a context wouldn't be necessary;)

I probably just clicked something I shouldn't have.  
    You shouldn't see the context (ghosted model) if you are in "none"

if you do see additional parts in your studio, chances are you selected them while doing a "Transform->copy in place"
    I don't see the ghosted model, cause that only shows when I select the actual context, but I do see the boolean operation. 

The cabinet is cut (boolean operation performed) when no context is selected, as shown in the screenshot. 

The only difference when I select a context, is that I see the ghost, but the cut is still there even if "none" context is selected;)
    Correct. what are you expecting?
    I'm expecting the boolean operation to only be there for the context of which it is needed. 

I don't expect the in-context edit to affect all my future cabinets.

If I create a new assembly now and insert a simple cabinet, it has a boolean operation done to it. 

I'm just totally not getting it right now;)

Isn't that the whole point of in-context edits?, to edit the instance of the object?

For example here, I create an in-context edit on the same cabinet, but to each different instance (there are 5 cabinets here, so I have a different context for each, cause they are cut in different ways)

There is only one class here, a cabinet which has many different part configurations

There once was a serpent who only traveled in one direction. Always forward, never backward.

Until one day, the serpent came upon a Demon.

The Demon cursed the serpent, driving him insane, causing him to eat his own tail.

The serpent was blind.

But there were those who could see, who knew the serpent's true path. So they created a weapon to destroy the Demon.

They hid the weapon in the snake's den, where he waited for his madness to end.

But it never did. For the seers discovered that the only one who could wield the weapon was the Demon itself.

And so the serpent was doomed to wait in madness...forever.
    ;), Nah, love it, John. Thanks;) Perfect bed time story for me. I'll read it and come back with better questions;)
     >:) 
    I like yours better
    Sad face

Hmm, how about this?:

https://vimeo.com/228643062
    cool
    So I'm back at work and just getting back into this.
    I love the stories. @john_mcclary My brother-in-law is preparing to become a Buddhist monk so I thought it was an interesting choice.
    Going back to what @owen_sparks mentioned about not modifying the original because it could be used in more than just this Hermit House, it might be wise to actually create a derived part studio of the cabinet in your document rather than creating more configurations in the original. You can then create different configurations for each cabinet location and the sink cutouts without affecting the original model.
    Still trying to figure this out, but you both are talking about assemblies and assembly configurations right? The cabinet with drawers is an assembly. 
    edited May 2019
    part-studio configurations

Edit: Didn't realized Chris was also talking about asm configs.
    Part and assembly configs. You could reduce the number of individual assembly tabs of your cabinet by making those assembly configs. But as the cutouts in the cabinets are specific to this document I would derive the cabinet into a new part studio in the current document and create the cutout there. You would then also create assembly configs of your cabinets in your document as well.
    If I wasn't at work I would make a copy of your document and show you. I apologize if I'm not doing a great job of explaining the process.
    Part and assembly configs. You could reduce the number of individual assembly tabs of your cabinet by making those assembly configs. But as the cutouts in the cabinets are specific to this document I would derive the cabinet into a new part studio in the current document and create the cutout there. You would then also create assembly configs of your cabinets in your document as well.
    If I wasn't at work I would make a copy of your document and show you. I apologize if I'm not doing a great job of explaining the process.
    Looking forward to when you get off of work;) Hehe
    Really, is in context edits the proper way to do it, to create configurations?

I bring in for example 10 40cm cabinets and create a configuration for each one in the assembly?

The logical thing for me would be editing the instance. There's no such concept in Onshape? Or is that what I'm really going?;)
    ok, so the proper thing to do is making a derived part studio?
    Seems like lots of part studios. 
    This is the right way to do it, to have small variations to each cabinet, like here, I make a hole in one. 

Here I 

1. Made a derived part studio
    2. Inserted the part into the assembly
    3. Edited the part in context

I guess this is the way to do it, to every cabinet here?

It just seems like there should be an easier way;)

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Another way to approach this, which might get a sideways look from some people, could be to model all of the cabinets in a single part studio, so when you do your in-context edits you only need to have one context to reference all of the non-cabinet parts. I'd only model unique parts and duplicate them in the assembly where relevant (like a drawer). That way your Bill of Materials is still meaningful.

This does seem like a problem that could be solved well with a custom feature to produce the base cabinets and set some variables. I imagine a single feature could be made to produce all of the cabinets from a floor plan sketch, then you could just manually modify the ones you need to.

If you want to keep them in separate studios, then yes, what you're doing by deriving them seems like the way to do it. You could do it by configurations, but the more one-off variations you have of the cabinet, the more of your feature tree will be cluttered up with features that are suppressed most of the time. Especially if you want to use the same master across projects, constantly accumulating cabinet variations. Overconfiguring is something I'm prone to do and it gets unwieldy. You could use Super Derive to pull variables (like height and material thickness) from the master model too.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    Keeping them in separate part studios seems like a terrible idea, not sure why. I need to read your post a few more times;)

Here's the derived drawer modified in context. Seems following this approach, I'll end up with hundreds of part studios.