Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I put a part on the top plan?

vijit_codervijit_coder Member Posts: 11
I need to position the parts for export to STL-file and then print. In this case, the orientation of the model in slicer is important. 

As for now, I have to correct the orientation of the model after each export. I want to define its orientation in Onshape for export once.

Tried to do this through Assembly, export from there ignores the position of the part.

I need something like "put the part on the table using that face". I know there are no tables in Onshape :) It just for convenience of understanding, what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Try using the Transform tool in the part studio. 
  • vijit_codervijit_coder Member Posts: 11
    Sorry, I missed your answer (wrong notification preferences).

Thanks, I'll this. This solution is not ideal but it's better then nothing.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    A part will come into and translate out of Onshape with the same origin that the part was modeled in.

So if the part was modeled off of the top plane, then that is where Onshape will import and export it.
    edited November 2020
    I noticed that, thanks.

I'm looking for a special tool to orient the parts before export.

As suggested @tim_hess427, Transform tool helps with that. No ideal, but good enough.

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that the slicer you are using does not provide a simple and easy way to reorient the STL geometry to whatever orientation you need.  I use Simplfy3D and literally there is a "put the part on the table using that face" option.
    I use Cura and IdeaMaker. Of course they allows to orient the model. But I need to reorient the model each time when I loaded it into the slicer. That's the problem. And every user of my thing will need to do the same action. This is inconvenient.

I made a solution based on suggestion of @tim_hess427. And it's good enough. I created a dedicated PartStudio, derived there all parts and oriented them as they should be printed. A now every change in the working PartStudio reflects there. All I need now is to export the parts and print them. No additional orientation in the slicer. Sweet!