Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape Surface Modeling - Exercise: Helmet

jack_myersjack_myers Member Posts: 4 EDU
Hi Folks, 
I'm currently working my way through the learning pathways and hit a snag on the Helmet exercise with curves. I'm currently on Step 6 of the exercise and it would seem that i cannot select the specific edge that the guidance indicates. From what I understand, the "Edge of Fill 1" should be split by the intersecting projected curve but it doesn't seem to be so. Ive tracked back through the guidance to see if Ive missed a crucial step but found nothing.

Whenever I try to loft the lower portion of the helmet using the guides, I'm getting a failed result because the fill edge selected is conflicting.

I've attached a link to the document I'm working on if someone with a bit more experience wouldn't mind giving me a steer, it would be appreciated. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/db35219b59eca446220b3816/w/bc942b300e1c3c89566ad778/e/728b3ac86b2c9eb63376f5c4

I've been SUPER happy with my progress up to now, and I love the fact that these resources don't just tell you how to make something, the team have spent a lot of time to make sure the understanding behind the technique are there too.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it looks like the problem is because the lines were not intersecting properly because I had selected the wrong curve. 

I didn't want to delete this post in case anyone else encountered this problem. 

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO

This is really well done. I enjoyed your structure making it easy for me to follow your design intent. My only recommendation is to keep going. You've got the basics down.

• Options
    jack_myersjack_myers Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Thanks!
    I can't take the credit for the structure of the features with it being a prescribed self-led course. I have thoroughly enjoyed the process though. Understanding curves has opened up and whole new realm of possibilities and I'm really excited to see where this takes me. 
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2020
    @jack_myers ok, I was wondering. Kudos to the os training team!

One thing to understand, this is only one model and surface technique, a very good one. Surfacing is all about the arrows in your quiver; the more you have the better.

Don't stop, keep going....