Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I use the PARTcommunity?

Beginner here, just trying to figure out how to use the PARTcommunity to insert parts from catalogs. I cannot figure it out.

Can someone help please?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Subscribe in the App Store, then inside a Document, add the application from the + menu, bottom left
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • anthony_knightanthony_knight Member Posts: 6
    Answer ✓

OK I figured it out, I had the same problem as this person: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/14341/add-application-no-where-to-be-found

Fixed by reloading the window with "Command + Shift + R" (Mac), clearing the cache

Now Add application... appears correctly:

• Glenn_BabeckiGlenn_Babecki Member Posts: 22 EDU
    Thanks to the above discussion I got the PARTcommunity app/link installed and basically functioning.

However, trying to get an 80-20 part inserted into a design document. I found and selected the part that I wanted (pivot bracket with brake) and I selected "insert into Onshape".   It seemed to take forever to generate the CAD model and I'm not sure if it completed properly but after poking some related links on the page it indicated "Generation successful" and "CAD MODEL is ready for download".  However there is no apparent means to download or complete the insertion of the model into the Onshape document. Does anyone have experience with making PARTcommunity work?

I haven't even got to address the issue of "download tickets" described in another forum thread.

I suspect I will have to contact PARTcommunity to hear their story since it's their app.
    We have made them aware that it is not working, however a little more pressure wouldn’t go amiss. 
    Neil,

Thanks for the status on the PARTcommunity app.  I feel much better now if this is a known problem reported to PARTcommunity.  A colleague of mine that is a more advanced Onshape user told me he uses PARTcommunity fairly regularly and hasn't experienced this problem.  I'm not clear if this issue just cropped up or it is specific to the particular 80-20 part I was referencing but will get on to PARTcommunity about it as well.

As a relatively new user of Onshape I have been working my way through the training videos and exercises.  While working on some starter projects I end up getting exposed to some features outside of my stage of learning, but learning by experience helps solidify the knowledge.

Thanks,
    Glenn

• anthony_knightanthony_knight Member Posts: 6

I have the same problem the, the model never generates. I gave up with the onshape version of PART community and went direct with b2b PARTcommunity (google it)

• Paul_ChoinPaul_Choin Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with the model never seeming to be there.
    Anthony, Paul,

Yeah I went directly to PART community and as they say, "bing, bang, boom" I had a generated part to download and insert in no time flat.  A little less convenient that I suppose the app is purported be, but at least it works.  I left a comment with PARTcommunity support but don't have any response as of today.

Anyway, thanks for the further confirmation that I wasn't crazy.
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Tried to add PARTcommunity to a colleague's account today, but could not find it in the App Store. Does anyone know if this is a bug, or if PARTcommunity is slowly being decommissioned? Would be a shame!
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    Hey @brooke_spreen, due to recurring issues with the app, we've decided to pull it...for now. This will not affect your ability to use the app, but for your colleague, they will not find it in the store until the issues have been resolved.

The good news? The same models can be accessed from: https://b2b.partcommunity.com/3d-cad-models/ 
    The bad news? This does add a couple additional steps for them. 

We hope to have PARTcommunity back up at some point. In the meantime, you can also explore other apps from the same category, such as TraceParts
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Aaron_Magnin , thanks for the info. Fingers crossed that the issues won't prove too difficult!
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
    Good news on this. Issues have been resolved and the app will be available later today. 
  • michal_bartakmichal_bartak Member Posts: 17
    Not sure if I'm facing the same issue.
    I found the object in the library, I pressed "insert into Onshape" and that's it, I cannot see the object in my document. Pressing the insert button again makes information appear that I have already added to the Onshape.

Am I doing something wrong, or there are some issues with importing from PartCommunity app?

With regards

@michal_bartak to be honest, it comes and goes. Next time you try it, it will probably work.
    Neil is correct...as usual. However, we don't want it to be that way. Please make sure to report any issues you have by using the contact support button while in the app. I can confirm it worked as expected for me today, so hopefully you're already past this. 
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    I might just point out that (as I understand it) Partcommunity is supposedly shutting down and moving all users to 3Dfindit. If you have not tried the 3Dfindit app, please do. I have found that I like it way better. 
    Thats a great point, @wayne_sauder! Def check out 3dFindIt.
    Thank you, guys.
    Indeed next day it was working.

Regarding 3Dfindit, I found it before, in Aaron's post above, but at that time a different domain had been posted. After redirection, I wasn't sure it was legit. Also, the registration gives a mixed impression. It requires providing a lot of personal data (incl phone number) and on top of that appears to register a business account (business email, company name, job position, info about a company - all those are mandatory). Hence mixed feelings.

I'm writing it just to make you know that some might feel confused. 

with regards
    @michal_bartak
    I'm not sure about all that, I just use my partscommunity login. 
    Hello again.
    I'm back after a few months, 3dfindit generally works. But some models don't enable "Import to CAD" button while other works fine. I haven't found criteria that drive this behavior.
    For example, search for Fan KL 50 to see if it is importable. Not for me. 

Is there any option to filter unavailable models out?

with regards
    You will find that a lot of these types of platforms have some parts in them that only have 2d drawings associated with them. I'm guessing that is probably the case with this part. Or possibly a fault in the supplier's upload. Submit a ticket to 3dfindit.      
    It appears that model wants to send you to an external website to download the CAD. This was what I was told when accessing 3Dfindit via the browser, vs from within Onshape. 
    @michal_bartak
    I looked into that fan, I assume it is from Elmeko?  This is one of those companies that doesn't provide 3D files through 3dfindit even though their products are listed. If you open 3dfindit in a browser tab instead of within onshape and find the part then click on the cad button you will get a message and a redirect to the manufacturer's website where you can find a step file. You would need to download and then import. Confusing and crazy? yes! I don't understand why 3dfindit allows such, but it is the way it is!!!
    It appears that model wants to send you to an external website to download the CAD. This was what I was told when accessing 3Dfindit via the browser, vs from within Onshape. 

Strangely, Unlike you, I have neither pink download button nor "CAD" one (see below). Now sure why.

@michal_bartak
    I looked into that fan, I assume it is from Elmeko?  This is one of those companies that doesn't provide 3D files through 3dfindit even though their products are listed. If you open 3dfindit in a browser tab instead of within onshape and find the part then click on the cad button you will get a message and a redirect to the manufacturer's website where you can find a step file. You would need to download and then import. Confusing and crazy? yes! I don't understand why 3dfindit allows such, but it is the way it is!!!
    Yeah. I'm not against having such models in the repo. But it should be either visible at the first glance or a way to filter them out. In my browser, neither one feature is available.

@michal_bartak
    Just to clarify, you will need to open 3dfindit in a browser to get the pink CAD Button. The lower download button doesn't work in this situation. 
    You can somewhat filter the results using file types. The files you were looking at are what is called a 3D crawled (vendor link) 
    Again one of the more confusing sides of what I find to be an overall great platform.