Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Line Angle plane: angle to what?

laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
The implication in the help for Plane (https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#cshid=cplane) is that the angle is to the plane that hosts the line.  My experiments, however, suggest that the angle is to the global system.

Here's my experiment:

I put a line on the Top plane, a plane at 30 deg to that, a second line, and a line at 60 deg to that.  What I want is to specify that "plane on second line" is at X degrees from the plane that hosts Second Line, so that if I adjust the first plane, the change follows.  What I'm getting is that plane on second line is at X degrees from global flat.

How can I get what I want... or how am I conceptualizing this wrong?

(Experiment at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/27349a7d22794a6a993806f6/w/744e07fcdbd144cdace550d7/e/c3147f1d0e1e439b89174b52 if anybody wants it.)

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

I entirely agree with you, @laird_broadfield : to my mind, this is a serious deficiency, one of several in the current implementation of planes in Onshape.

I've previously raised this under "Feedback" with the folks at Onshape Support, and I suggest others do the same if it affects them.

It's a major stumbling block for me, since the current lack of 3D sketch capability makes planes indispensable in models which would otherwise not require them.

I think that the default reference plane for the angle should be the plane on which the sketch line lies (as you suggest), but ideally it should alternatively be possible, using the same tool, to select an arbitrary plane or face as the ref or datum plane, and/or use a linear (solid) edge rather than a line.

For me, this is the most commonly used plane creation tool, and it needs to work as well as possible.

I would personally prefer the default angle (measured from the sketch or reference/datum plane as above), to be 90 degrees for a newly created plane (rather than, as in Solidworks, the last angle used), but this is a minor consideration.

• Options
    laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    @andrew_troup: Oh, good -- given that I'm largely self-educating my way into this, I tend to assume that I'm thinking incorrectly, rather than finding genuine issues or shortcomings.

Given that the Create Plane object selector already accepts multiple selections, one could just add both the line and the line's host plane as a way to specify the preferred reference without losing backwards compatibility.  (Indeed, in the midst of typing my note, I thought of that and went back to check if that was the method, because it seemed so obvious once I'd thought of it.)

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I think if we creat a plane by "line angle",it is not a steady plane.now let me try !
    step1: creat sketch 1, draw a line on the front plane ,and give the value 60 degree for the angle between this line and X axis.
    step2: creat plane 1 with this line and give 0 degree for angle value by "line angle".
    step3: reedit sketch 1,change the angle from 60 degree to 30 degree
    step4: we can see the vector of plane 1 will rotate 90 degree.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit frustrated trying to anticipate the direction that a plane would take with the plane/angle option. Had to continually experiment to get want I wanted. @shanshan Glad you identified this apparent bug. 
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @lougallo @jakeramsleyI would like to see some comment of Ons people for this plane issue.

I would really like to set also angles when creating a plane in offset to another plane. I don't like to create sketch for driving a simple say 45 deg to normal plane.
    //rami
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited July 2015
    The line-angle plane angle problem has to be a bug.....

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    @lougallo @jakeramsleyI would like to see some comment of Ons people for this plane issue.

I would really like to set also angles when creating a plane in offset to another plane. I don't like to create sketch for driving a simple say 45 deg to normal plane.
    Looking at the code, it isn't random but not easy to predict what the 0 degree plane is.  We are essentially looking for what the dominant unit vector is of the line, be it [1, 0, 0], [0, 1, 0] and [0, 0, 1] and get the cross of that for the normal of the plane.  From here, we start rotating about the line with a right hand rule (I believe).
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    @jakeramsley Thanks for sharing that. It makes a whole lot more sense now. It's a natural way to attack the unknowns global angles create. Not a bug, just coding the wrong feature.

If it's not clear from the above comments... We want local angles.

With local angles it's easy to create the effect of global angles using the core reference planes. With global angles it's not easy to create the effect of local angles.

• Options
    robert_uhrikrobert_uhrik Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    still after 9 years this is wrong in onshape... so big shame...

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 273
    While I used to use planes a lot, I've converted almost exclusively to mate connectors now. They're far more useful. These days, I only make a plane if I need to put one through three points.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    still after 9 years this is wrong in onshape... so big shame...

Select a second reference to define the angle parametrically. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI