Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Single Line Text - instead of outline

kvdmolenkvdmolen Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited February 2021 in Drawings
Is it possible to draw text, but as a single line instead of outline?

We are using an engraving mill (45 degrees) to engrave the text onto parts.
This requires only one simple line for a letter, not a double line as is now default in the "text" feature.

Or does there exist a FeatureScript for this? The "Surface Text" FS does not support this currently.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfec40e2b66bb4ddb2f3414b/w/24132f252a02825eb0606641/e/7af1344ab1e54af102d0f4b9

Thank you!

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know of any featurescript that has implemented this, yet.

There's an improvement request you can vote for here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7116/single-line-font

• kvdmolenkvdmolen Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    A workaround I found is adding a Note in the drawing for DXF export. Then set "Export Notes as lines" option on export.
    Downside is that the only single-line font is a font with straight lines, not curves. And you can't position the text properly. But it works.
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good idea. I haven't played around with it very much, but there is an extension for Inkscape that converts text to single line fonts. The extension is called "Hershey Text". You can write your text in Inkscape, export to DXF, then import into a sketch in onshape. 

I've tried this once and it seems to work, but it looks like there might be some scaling issue introduced in the export, but I'm sure that can be corrected somehow.