Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rotational contraints

rod_muirhead943rod_muirhead943 Member Posts: 94 EDU
The gray 3/16 ID shaft collar with the plain generic 8-32 set screw location is the challenge.  The shaft collar will not stop rotating.  What constraints will set the set screw location perpendicular to the flat on the shaft?

Thanks

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    If the collar has a revolute, you should fasten the shaft to it. If the shaft has a revolute then maybe use slider on the collar (and planar on the bushing).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    cup point set screw with a planar mate?
    From my point of view the standard hardware set screws should have a mate connector on the tip since that's how I would place it.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44300b8443e31a8a7552cb4e/w/9ece92663a727e60560de254/e/6aad1817decb9370da763f08

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @GlenD When mating, if you hover over the edge on the tip, doesn't an implicit mate connector appear?
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Yes if your zoomed close enough to see the tip. When snap mode is turned on the mate connector for standard hardware will be the default mate with out zooming in on a busy assembly. You then only need the other implied mate to place. A hex bolt is mated at the end of shaft under the head to match a hole but a set screw goes inside the hole and down to something like a shaft but doesn't necessarily match the outboard end of the hole.
    In the screen snap. Left is default now. What I'm suggesting is I think it would be more useful as shown on right.

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    @GlenD I see what you mean. It is tiring to be zooming way in and out constantly. Honestly, I don't even use the standard library. I created my own document and modeled my own hardware models so that I could configure them however works best for our company. Also, when I make a release, I can let release management assign part numbers to hardware that hasn't been used before.  All my bolts use a configuration variable to change there length. It's more flexible then creating a table with every length you foresee ever using.  I can share it with you if you want and you can copy it.

Ps I don't have sets screws in the document at this time