Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Grouping

allen_stewartallen_stewart Member Posts: 32
Hello All,

Simple question, how do i join to lines together to get one line.  By one line I mean, when i click any of the two lines (now fussed together) the entire line is selected.

Thank you

Best Answer

Answers

• navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @allen_stewart I believe you can't join two lines to convert them into one, however if you have two lines or more and you want the entire lines selected at once,you can click on the sketch feature in the features menu on the left and it will select the whole sketch (all lines)
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry @allen_stewart clicking on the feature menu will only highlight but you will not be able to perform any actions, in order to do that  you have to right click and select all features.
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @allen_stewart What are you trying to do?  What is the reason you need to "fuse" lines together?  Curious what you are after... 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • allen_stewartallen_stewart Member Posts: 32

Example, im trying to make a line that's 10 inches long that goes through the mid point of the plain.  I have to make two lines of equal size that are 5 inches opposite from one another.  I want to join those lines to make one line.  So when I click on one of the lines the entire 10 inch line is selected.  I guess it might not be possible. 

• 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I like the midpoint line idea in the sketch.
    I used a lot this feature in SolidWorks 2015.
    In Solidworks World 2013 was among the 10 best improvements voted and in 2014 ranked first!
  • allen_stewartallen_stewart Member Posts: 32
    thanks for the help guys
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you did have a burning need for a line which has three easily identifiable points, you could draw a line about half the length you want, then start another line from the endpoint of the first, select the two lines and make them "coincident" (which includes "collinear") and "equal" (in length).

Once we get copy and paste of sketch elements, including (optionally) constraints, (hint hint!) there could be instances where a number of such entity pairs were wanted, in which case you could construct one, and then use lots of copies...

I can think of situations (particularly in 3D sketches - another thing we don't yet have) where this general class of functionality could be very handy, and I would personally prefer it to more tightly targetted, task-specific features, like "midpoint line". 
  • lauren_bairdlauren_baird Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Hello all! I'd like to know an answer to this as well.....when I create multiple lines in Onshape and then export as a dxf for lasercutting, I have A LOT of lines to click for example. It is really time consuming. For example, a circle is one click in the laser cutter software (retina engrave), a sqaure is 4, a square with rounded corners is 8 and a gear shape could be 50+. If ci 
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Just Right click on the sketch you want to export and you see this. Select export as DXF/DWG

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    What Dirk says. But hover over face with your pointer and right click to catch all edges like sheet metal flat patterns.
    If your selecting curves individually then your working way too hard.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    edited April 2021
    @lauren_baird
    Doesn't your laser cutting software support left to right and right to left window selection?