Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 7th, 2021

Lindsay_EarlyLindsay_Early Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 16
edited June 2021 in New in Onshape

May is here and we’re kicking off this month with an update! This release has a lot of exciting new drawing improvements. Let’s take a look!

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

FULL ROUND FILLET

The fillet tool has been improved to create full round fillets.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/pobxu91y30

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DATE FORMAT IMPROVEMENTS

Onshape added support for dd-mm-yyyy, d-MMM-yyyy, dd/mm/yy, dd/mm/yyyy, dd.mm.yy, and dd.mm.yyyy in drawing notes and the revision table.

DEFAULT OPTION FOR VIEW SIMPLIFICATION

A new default option for view Simplification has been added to drawings. You can choose from None, Absolute, Ratio to studio, Ratio to part, and Automatic. For best performance, it is still recommended to leave it on Automatic unless it is necessary to change it.

DETAIL VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

You can now show/hide sketches in detail views.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

COPY LINK FROM DETAILS PANEL

The Details panel has been improved to include a direct link and copy link as a part of the Document Title.

EXPORT RULE IMPROVEMENTS

Export Rules have been expanded to be more versatile. Export rules now include Part Studio properties. They also trigger when exporting a face or sheetmetal flat pattern. Additionally, for Enterprise and Professional, Export Rules can reference the referenced part properties.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/nnsg8dzf9t

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

ANDROID ASSEMBLY CONFIGURATIONS

Android now supports changing configurations within an assembly.

ANDROID AND IOS WHERE USED FOR ENTERPRISE

Enterprise users can take advantage of Where Used with Android and iOS apps.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jdtl6zuuhs

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

RELEASE CANDIDATE ALIASES

Release Management is now improved with the use of Aliases.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lqp8u55p33

CLASSLINK SSO 

ClassLink has been added as an SSO provider for Onshape. To set it up, follow the directions in the Help.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ONSCALE TRAINING

We’re excited to announce that Onscale, creators of the cloud connected simulation app, have created the Onscale Solve Simulation Fundamentals training course in the Onshape Learning Center. This new course has 4 sections, 11 lessons, 2 exercises, over 2 hours of video. 

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Full round fillets!  Excellent.  The export, drawing improvements, and mobile support are much appreciated also.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Nice, updates. Will be using those full round fillets immediately. 

Thanks Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I've been missing full fillet rounds. The export file naming is great when sending files to a manufacturer, keeping them straight and understanding where the exports came from. And, my favorite is layout sketches in drawings. I'm starting to drive my designs with layout sketches throughout assemblies & drawings. This is a good practice controlling design intent, helping the next guy understand the design and most importantly documenting the whole process giving your designs better control. It's a good idea to capture the initial napkin sketches and the fundamental concepts for your design. You can build with them in an assembly and show'm in a drawing capturing everything.

Onshape is beginning to capture the big picture better than any previous CAD system.

• 3D_Brooklyn3D_Brooklyn Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Full round of applause for full fillets!
  • pmc_pmcpmc_pmc Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    :)  for Android assembly configurations 
  • jonathan_sessajonathan_sessa Member Posts: 10 EDU
    These updates are awesome! Cant wait for you guys to add assembly mirroring! 
  • Ethan_Deal_Ethan_Deal_ Member Posts: 7 EDU
    loving the new fillet improvement! More like this please lol
  • sergey_dzussergey_dzus Member Posts: 2
    Супер!! Но почему бы не сделать скругление с помощью выбора одной поверхности?  А прилегающие поверхности выбирались бы автоматически.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @sergey_dzus
    Представьте себе куб, и что выбрана одна грань.  Есть два варианта как её скруглить.  Поэтому и нужен дополнительный выбор.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Full round fillet is nice.
    Thanks for adding the option to turn off view simplification. (I would rather take a performance hit than NOT HAVE MY PARTS ON THE DRAWING) :)
  • mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for the export rule update. I actually submitted a request about this one when the export rules were first released. Now we can have the part/assembly on the drawing used for the export filename, instead of the drawing itself. Thanks!
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Fillets, sketches - very nice update!

All the nice tools encourage us to create awesome detailed 3d models .. details create more lines and shapes .. which begins to be a problem when box selecting stuff in part studio.

For example right now I would need to select portion of imported pretty complex ~4000 part model. It seems to be next to impossible; Onshape either logs me out due to inactivity or if I change the view to keep it active then selection applies same box area to new view and I need to start over..

With plenty of frustration I wen't to create improvement request for simply selecting only parts in part studio similar to what box or click select does in assembly workspace. IR can be voted here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16159/select-only-parts-mode-in-part-studio

//rami
  • jnewthjnewth Member, OS Professional Posts: 5 PRO
    @sergey_dzus

There are several combinations possible with the same central face. The right-most image is a surprising result. Here the side faces are not opposite but adjacent.
  • sebastian_lavassorsebastian_lavassor Member Posts: 3
    Fillets helped me alot  i have done alot of round drawings balls  eggs .
  • sebastian_lavassorsebastian_lavassor Member Posts: 3
     :) 
  • Ethan_Deal_Ethan_Deal_ Member Posts: 7 EDU
    I would love to see an improvement of the wrap tool so I can have it work on non-circular surfaces like how it is in Solidworks (Idk if I explained it that well lol)
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited May 2021
    While we are talking about wrap:

Cough... wrap solid parts, cough...  ;)

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • KITAKITA Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Thanks for the export rule update. I actually submitted a request about this one when the export rules were first released. Now we can have the part/assembly on the drawing used for the export filename, instead of the drawing itself. Thanks!
    I keep forgetting why I haven't started using the export rules - and then come to the sad realization that I can't use the part properties ( or easily transfer them to the drawing properties ) 

There are lot of areas that require redundant data entry - I will stick to manually editing the file name, I guess :)