Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting from display states

Malcolm_AknerMalcolm_Akner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I would like to have a function to export an assembly in terms of its display states. I have a fairly complex CAD model which contains many parts, but a lot of them are not needed for our supplier. They require a full .STEP file of a partial of the full assembly, which can be created with the display state feature. Currently when I export when viewing a specific display state, it exports everything in that assembly, regardless of what's hidden or not. Onshape is missing a function to export a .STEP file from the current display state. Is this something that can be added in a future update?

All the best,

Malcolm Akner
Mechanical Engineer at Copenhagen Atomics

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Hi @Malcolm_Akner - this is a very specific request, but if you would like to create it as an improvement request in the category on the right ==> then others can vote on it. The more votes, the more likely it is to be implemented.

In the meantime, could you suppress the parts you don't want?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Malcolm_AknerMalcolm_Akner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I can definitely do that, it seems like a nice feature for Onshape to have, just to improve exporting functionality :smile: 
    The easiest way I found of achieving what I want is to duplicate the master assembly and then just deleting the stuff I don't want from that. There are a lot of parts I've only drawn one of and then duplicated in the assembly, and our supplier wants to see the full assembly of what they are to create, so I can't go back to the parts studio for this. This is however going to be quite tedious for sub-assembly exports.

I hope the community will vote this in!