Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing automatically update after assemble configuration changes

aleksandr_oleinikaleksandr_oleinik Member Posts: 6
I want to use Onshape for design automation. So I made an assembly and added configurable variables. After I change configuration of the assembly I cannot easily update the drawings. The only way I can do that is to change configuration of every part in the drawing. It seems that I miss something. What is the pattern for design and drawings automation in Onshape?

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @aleksandr_oleinik - Your goal is a little unclear. Are you trying to create assembly drawings? Or update many drawings of individual parts? What do you want the organization of your drawings to be? 

It sounds like you want onshape to automatically re-create drawings of individual parts when you change the assembly configuration. Is that right? I don't think onshape can do that, exactly. 

• aleksandr_oleinikaleksandr_oleinik Member Posts: 6
    @tim_hess427 - you are right. I want to to automatically re-create drawings of subassemblies and individual parts when I change the top assembly configuration. But Onshape can't do it, you are also right. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited July 2021
    When you change the configuration in the assembly, you are not 'changing the configuration' instead you are 'viewing' the results of your configuration choices. 

So when you create a view in drawings, you are also choosing which configuration you are 'viewing'

Depending on how complex your configuration is, you may want to try using display states if you are simply hiding parts with suppression.

Otherwise, try changing what your configuration default is.. I haven't tried this and it likely won't work. But it should if you are creating a new view for the drawing.

This last one probably won't work for you if you want BOM structure. But create a higher level assembly that doesn't have a config, then import your configured assembly into that. Then when you change the configuration in your top assembly, the drawing views will update 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited July 2021
    How about an improvement request for making configuration presets.. That work just like display states. 

Having named configurations would solve this and other heavy configuration issues. This is the main reason I avoid config variables when it's a real design that needs a drawing. Too easy to forget to go update the drawing view config. 

I imagine the named config tool would be created and updated just like display states. All it does is save the values of the current config. 

Then when choosing a view in a drawing, you can choose a named config, or set your config the manual way we do today.

Also this should be true for importing into other assemblies, partstudios, and documents