Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can I constrain features in a sketch to lines/points in a sketch that is in a different plane?

alec_arshavskyalec_arshavsky Member Posts: 4
Hi everyone, I am trying to constrain a point to be coincident to a line in a perpendicular plane/sketch and I don't seem to be able to do that.

More specifically: I have these two lines coming out of the tetrahedron and would like the endpoints forming the vertices of the orange highlighted triangle in my sketch to be coincident to those lines

Is there a way to do so?

I am open to other solutions for what I am trying to do here as well (hopefully the image shows my intention). I don't know if projecting a sketch onto another plane, for example, would be a viable solution

Thanks for the help!

Best Answer

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @alec_arshavsky

seems like you might be trying to project from some point where the oval is ?

The best thing to do is to post the URL or the website address for your document here so people can take a look at it — because sometimes it’s a little hard to understand what people are trying to say

But it sounds to me like you will be able to accomplish what it is you want either by using the Coincident constraint, USE tool, or Pierce constraint. Or if not by using one of these methods, then maybe by projecting it some other way

Answers

Answer ✓
    @alec_arshavsky

seems like you might be trying to project from some point where the oval is ?

The best thing to do is to post the URL or the website address for your document here so people can take a look at it — because sometimes it’s a little hard to understand what people are trying to say

But it sounds to me like you will be able to accomplish what it is you want either by using the Coincident constraint, USE tool, or Pierce constraint. Or if not by using one of these methods, then maybe by projecting it some other way

• alec_arshavskyalec_arshavsky Member Posts: 4
    Hi Steve,

Thank you - the pierce constraint was what I was looking for. Really grateful for your help!
    @alec_arshavsky

Well that kind of surprises me. That was the one I least suspected. The pierce constraint. But that just goes to show you that sometimes it’s hard to figure out what someone is asking for

Anyway — I’m glad it helped