Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing a ridge around a loft

mark_dutton343mark_dutton343 Member Posts: 14
Hi.

I am drawing a simple pourer. It is oval at one end and smaller diameter round at the other. The idea is it is pushed into a hole like a hollow cork. It also has a curve along it's length.

I used a loft to create the pourer 

What I want to do is to put a ridge around the circumference of this loft some way back from one end. It will be a triangular ridge as a barb to hold the pourer in the hole. I can't for the life of me work out how to get a shape to follow around the circumference of the loft, which is not perfectly round as it blends from an oval to a circle. I thought the sweep extrude was the key, but I can't constrain the triangle sketch to the surface of the loft, nor select the loft surface as the sweep path. Am I trying to do the impossible?

Mark

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,306
    Answer ✓
    If the ridge is planar, create a plane and split the face using the plane - that will create a path that you can use to sweep a sketched circle.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers