Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part Studio Configuration + Config Properties

POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
Hi
I have a part studio with 17 Parts. Using the configure suppression routine the parts are either 17x1up or 17x6up parts so 1 PS has 34 parts..
I need a unique P/N & Description for the parts so I am manually selecting <configurations> <configured properties> <add property> <Description> <Part Number> then modifying the text... is there a quicker way to do this? Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited July 2021
    Would having the part number in the part name be acceptable? If so, you could configure the part name with the custom feature Name part.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/73922#Comment_73922

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
    Would having the part number in the part name be acceptable? If so, you could configure the part name with the custom feature Name part.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/73922#Comment_73922
    Thanks for suggestion, I don't think it will be suitable in this particular case - I've modified the properties now in any case - just posting in case anyone else had a faster method
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited July 2021
    You can add the parts to an assembly, add the part number, description, and name fields (or any fields you want to change)
    then copy the BOM to clipboard, go into a spreadsheet and paste.

now use the spreadsheet to set up your part names, numbers, etc. then select your data you want to import, Copy, then paste directly into the BOM.
    (i do this in a spreadsheet because it is many times faster than changing values one at a time in BOM, and much less likely to crash or hang Onshape)

Or, you can create a featurescript that just sets those values using the "setproperty" function
    Standard Library Documentation (onshape.com)

then just configure your featurescipt to be 'smart'
  • POCPOC Member Posts: 25 PRO
    You can add the parts to an assembly, add the part number, description, and name fields (or any fields you want to change)
    then copy the BOM to clipboard, go into a spreadsheet and paste.

now use the spreadsheet to set up your part names, numbers, etc. then select your data you want to import, Copy, then paste directly into the BOM.
    (i do this in a spreadsheet because it is many times faster than changing values one at a time in BOM, and much less likely to crash or hang Onshape)

Or, you can create a featurescript that just sets those values using the "setproperty" function
    Standard Library Documentation (onshape.com)

then just configure your featurescipt to be 'smart'
    Thank you, I'll give this a shot when I have the time