Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

In context part studio does not line up in the assy it was created in

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
Hi all, I just started using in context editing a couple of weeks ago (I was using derived prior), and I really like it. Just yesterday I made my first in-context part studio from an assembly. The first part created in that part studio assembles in the correct place in the assy it came from. But when I create additional parts in that part studio, then insert them into the assembly, they are placed at the origin of the assembly, rather than at the mate connector of the in-context part studio. This means I can't group them, and have to manually mate each part. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

This is the part studio. Base, top, and pins. The origin is where the mate connector was in the assy.

Here are the parts in the assy. The base is in the correct place, but the top and the pin is in the wrong place. Why does the base go in the right place, but the subsequent parts do not?

Thanks all!

Answers

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    You need to make sure that within the part studio, you have the assembly context "turned on" by having it active in the dropdown and reference something from that context. If you don't then the parts created will not reference the origin (and thus orientation) you specified in the assembly and instead revert to the Part Studio coordinates.

This is the specific in our training that references this: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/managed-in-context-design/understanding-managed-in-context-design/primary-and-secondary-instances?page=1

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    You need to make sure that within the part studio, you have the assembly context "turned on" by having it active in the dropdown and reference something from that context. If you don't then the parts created will not reference the origin (and thus orientation) you specified in the assembly and instead revert to the Part Studio coordinates.

This is the specific in our training that references this: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/managed-in-context-design/understanding-managed-in-context-design/primary-and-secondary-instances?page=1

Thank you. I had completed that entire training module a couple of weeks ago. I will look at that section again and try again. I'll report back later if that clears it up for me.
    I tried what you said of referencing something from the assembly context for the later parts and they still came in to the assembly at the wrong place. I also re-watched the video linked and it was not describing my precise situation.

Here I made a public document for testing:

On the studio named "in context studio" the first two parts I created immediately (Cap, Square Pin), and picked the option "insert and go to assy". Both of these parts maintained their position in the assy and I could add them to the main assy group constraint.

Then I went back to the in context studio and created the part "pin created later". The sketch for that pin I did "use edge" as a construction line to create a reference to the assy. Then I go to the assy and insert that part, and it does not maintain the position.

Is this expected behavior?

• Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    edited February 2023
    Ditto, this did not work for me. This is very frustrating @bradley_sauln
    Ditto, this did not work for me. This is very frustrating @bradley_sauln
    I had conversations with support after making this thread 2 years ago via a support ticket. It is the expected behavior. They might have made it an improvement request at the time, I forget now.

The workaround is to use the featurescript "mate connector at origin" on the parts in a studio. Then, I mate that MC to the MC in the assembly used to create the in-context part studio. Its a few extra steps, but its rock solid in reliability. I've had issue with Grouped components moving around on me with changes, and try to avoid group entirely now.