Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How is Onshape data management different than Autodesk Vault Professional?

I am evaluating Onshape's different product offerings and would like to see if I can connect with someone that came from either Solidworks or Autodesks data management products.

Answers

• Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    Hi @rodney_peterson, Onshape's data management has many differentiators from other products on the market. Onshape is a fully cloud-based CAD and data management system, so data management comes standard with the product instead of needing to get two separate software licenses for CAD and data management. Onshape allows you to collaborate with other users in the same collaborative environment of your company, there is no check in or check out process between users. Our built in data management comes with both default and customizable release workflows and all your data is backed up in a database on Amazon Web Services. We would be happy to have someone contact you for a demonstration where we can fully detail Onshape's data management capabilities!

• MehulGalaMehulGala Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    Hey, I was a customer of both solutions and joined Onshape, happy to chat with you! 
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited August 2021
    I'm not sure this is about Onshape, SolidWorks or Autodesk.

I believe this is a story about a cloud vs. a desktop.

No CAD can compare to Onshape because it's based on the cloud paradigm which solves so many issues. As far as desktop CAD systems are concerned, fundamentally their data structure is based on a fat table which is horrible for CAD systems. Can't find this or that is indicative of these systems. CAD has outgrown these data structures making them silly.

Currently I can understand why you would consider using a desktop CAD system. But in a couple of years you'll wish you had chosen the cloud solution.

x-solidworks user,

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    edited August 2021
    I don't have much experience with file based data management systems. But I know Onshape is better!. Haha. Almost everyone these days has experienced a moment when they needed something like a picture or spreadsheet and with great relief, realized there device had automatically made it available from the cloud. Onshape is like that but better. File based systems still require data to be loaded into your system for you to work on which can be lost before reloading the changes back to the vault. With Onshape, every single little thing you do is recorded and time-stamped into the system the millisecond you do it. If you rollback to a feature and then boom! Your computer blows up. You can open up your tablet and amazingly, you will find the roll back bar right where you left it at the feature.