Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a dictionary to translate from Solidworks to Onshape?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,379 PRO
I’ve been using CAD for 30+ years, but I’m still getting up to speed in Onshape. I follow the forums, I’ve gone through a bunch of the training materials, YouTube channel etc, searched a lot with Google but I haven’t quite found a dictionary to translate commands I know in Solidworks into their equivalents in Onshape. There are some videos and a few blog posts that kinda touch on this, but there isn’t a simple thing which would tell me Untrim:Solidworks::Move Boundry:Onshape.

The closest I found was this https://youtu.be/n-d18HHTIE8 which @NeilCooke did back in 2018. 

Ideally this would be some help docs which are easy to search.

Answers

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    edited September 2021
    Searching the toolbar with Alt C will give you results based on synonyms from other CAD systems.

Untrim will suggest move boundary, combine will suggest boolean, etc.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    That should help, and I’ll have to try it, but it’s not the same as being able to read through a document which covers all of these. I want to digest a bunch of stuff like that together. At one point when I was going back and forth between Pro/E and Solidworks I wrote up some notes that I shared with coworkers about the similarities and differences between the tools (I.e. back then Solidworks wouldn’t let you make a sketch dimension zero, but Pro/E would; Pro/E has an explicit control over “accuracy”, but in Solidworks it’s automatically dialed in behind the scenes - not always well). I’m really looking for more things which have honest comparisons and translations between the tools from an experienced perspective. Again, the linked video is one of the closest things to what I’m looking for, but it’s not complete, up to date, nor is it searchable.
  • Options
    @alnis While this search tool is helpful in some situations, with some searches I found things which come up "no items match your search". 

delete hole - nothing
    bezier - nothing, even in sketcher
    replace (with mates) - nothing in a part studio, but in assembly mode it correctly comes up with "replace instance"
    style (spline) - nothing in part studio or sketcher
    face curves - nothing even though there's a good public feature script to do this

Ideally someone would go through all the menus, icons, buttons etc. in Solidworks (an other common CAD systems) and come up with a way to accomplish the same thing in Onshape.

I'm reminded that years ago when PTC moved from Pro/E to Wildfire they had a "menu mapper" web page which helped show how to do the things you were used to doing with the new interface (which was a disruptive change for many users at the time). They kept this up for a few versions of Wildfire, but it seems to be gone now. They do have a built in command search which is similar in concept to Onshape's.