Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Inserted Construction Plane Rotates Itself About Major Axis?

Nicole_EspositoNicole_Esposito Member Posts: 2 PRO
edited September 2021 in Community Support
Long story short, I'm trying to create a skeleton model for the range of motion of a joint using a master sketch, but I'm having issues with one specific reference plane. I have the joint angle configured with a variable, and then a plane normal to the rotated endpoint of the joint.

However, I've found that, when I rotate the joint past -45 degrees, the normal plane reorients itself by 90 degrees about the major axis.

I have tried about everything I can to get around this, but I can't seem to escape it. I'm open to any work-around. I've tried re-dimensioning the angle, referencing the plane to a mate connector locked in the correct orientation, and creating 3-point planes (see the linked document below for how I did each). I also fiddled around with other possible solutions when I first encountered the problem, though at this point I don't remember exactly what I tried, just that none of them prevented the plane rotation. Nothing works. No matter what, when I rotate the joint beyond -45 degrees, the plane flips. Is this a bug? Or OnShape making some ease-of-use assumption that's making my specific situation difficult? Any ideas how to get around it?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/02d2156fcd113cbca4b2a857/w/25534ff8a797c67f9c2322cb/e/2be7d990d7151957778a0662?configuration=Angle%3D-0.7853981633974483%2Bradian

Best Answer

Answers