Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Pattern Around a Full Part

sam_biddlesam_biddle Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I'm working on a very simple part that I would like to pattern/texture.  I was looking at the surface pattern script, but can only do one surface at a time.  Is there a way to pattern the whole part surface so that the pattern is uniform around the whole outside of the part?  Here is a look at what I'm trying to work with.  Is there any way to put a helix around a part with flat surfaces also?  Thank you.

Best Answer

• sam_biddlesam_biddle Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This is very helpful.  Thank you.  Is there a way to make the texture bend around the cylindrical, filleted areas?

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited October 2021
    In this case, you could try something like this:
    • Create a spline using 3D Fit spline, edges, on the inner edge of your part.
    • Extrude that spline as a surface, then thicken it. Or use the custom feature Extrude thin by Morgan.
    • Pattern your texture on the new continuous part. Here is a feature called Texture based on Surface pattern by @maximilian_schommer .

As far as a helix goes, can you provide more details? If you would like a helix around your rectangular part, you can use Contour spiral by @konstantin_shiriazdanov. If you are wanting a simple spiral part, you can use Spiral or create one manually with a helix and a sweep.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    Answer ✓
    This is very helpful.  Thank you.  Is there a way to make the texture bend around the cylindrical, filleted areas?
    edited October 2021
    Anytime!

I have not added "Morph" functionality yet. Only textures that are made for it will be compatible with Morph. It was at the bottom of my list of improvements, but if people are interested, I can bump its priority up.

What kind of texture are you applying? There may be another method to achieve what you want. Depending on the shape, you could split the surface, then thicken the texture to obtain a bend.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    This is a very bad example of it, but I was hoping to create some sort of alternating waves.  They would ideally be flatter, but this is as far as I was able to get.

If they are flat like that, you could sketch them manually and extrude them the thickness you want. This would let you control the waves at the corners of your part. For the alternating waves, create another sketch.

Thank you.  Is the best way to just sketch them with splines?
    I got relatively close on this one, but still having trouble around the curves.  

Patterning is fine like you did. Try patterning a solid part only along the straight portion. Then, manually sketch the shape you want at the corners. A spline can work or arcs, it depends on what you prefer.