Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Connecting up elements in a rotary pattern

iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I'm trying to model a cycloidal gear.  I create a single tooth form on the pitch diameter and then generate the gear using a rotary pattern in the sketch.  All that seems to work fine, however, the sketch is not seen as a closed shape because even though one tooth starts where the previous tooth left off (at least as far as I can tell) the points are not seen as coincident.   I would imagine that if I marked them all as coincident it would all start to work, but with 96 teeth (and several wheels) that would be tedious and sort of spoils the point.

How should I do this

Comments

• Options
    iain_downsiain_downs Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Ah.  I tried it with a 12 tooth pinion and it just worked.  I've then gone back and made the end of the pattern and the start of the original tooth coincident and, after a bit of mucking around it's worked.  I suspect with a high copy count there was a slight numeric error which prevented them coinciding.  I also had to remove one of the construction lines to make this work so my model is probably a few microns out now.  That's not an accuracy issue my skills will need to worry about
  • Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 276
    If possible, it's best practice to make one segment and then use a circular part pattern to make the whole part. A sketch pattern can be harder to operate and you can't set its instance count to a variable (in a parametric way).