Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to smooth a surface

alberto_ferraronialberto_ferraroni Member Posts: 6
edited November 2021 in Community Support
Dear Onshape community,
I would like to ask your opinion on a possible issue that I could have with a drawing. I have made a 3D model of a fuselage of an airplane. I have modeled the nose area with multiple surfaces, that have been then linked using subsequent Loft. the angles between the lofts have been then rounded. 
Now, when I visualize the 3D model in certain angles, I see some strange light reflections, see here below:

If I move the view, I don't see anymore this effect:

My question is: is there a problem with the modeling of the nose fuselage, or are these light effect only visualization issue of the software? In case it is a real problem could anyone advise how i could improve the surface and make it smooth?

Here is the link to the document:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4753de4abcfb4df9853d28d8/w/1622dfd917fbeef7a52e93b9/e/5390cd528e9c8abb2684eb06

Thank you

Answers

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Change the resolution of your part.

RMB and click on appearance, change it to high.

It's getting better because OS is async and sending more data over time.

• dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    I took a look at your document and see that you are using a lot of separate loft's. I think you should try and use loft's and guideline's more.
    Have a look at this video.
    https://learn.onshape.com/courses/surfaces-and-curves-in-onshape
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I agree with @dirk_van_der_vaart
    I'm looking at the order of your sketches and I think you have too many lofts. You also should pay attention to the smoothness of your input curves and try to have as few cross sections as you can. I recommend a workflow about like this:
    1. make your side profile first using single splines (not lots of straight lines). This is better than starting with lots of cross sections because it will be smoother.
    2. add as few cross sections as you can get away with, and use the pierce sketch constraint to make sure they are touching the side profile curves.
    3. try to get all or most of the fuselage with a single clean loft.
    4. add cross section profiles as needed to get the control you want.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl