Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy properties from part being referenced by feature and assign to part being created

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
I have a custom sheet metal feature.  It allows for selecting an imported part and selecting one face of the part.  It then converts the whole thing into a new sheet metal part and deletes the imported part.  I use this feature usually on derived sheet metal parts.  Usually I have one master part studio and it contains too many sheet metal parts to be comfortably navigated by someone who just wants to download a flat pattern of one part.  I usually derive my sheet metal parts into new parts.  Derive brings all the properties like name and description in with the derive.  I would ;like to be able to have my sheet metal feature that converts it back into real sheet metal automatically reapply those properties(name description) to the new part.  After 10-15 parts, I really start to feel the pain of renaming every single one as it takes the same amount of time to name them as is does to derive and convert them.  I'm sure there must be an easy way to do this but I have not seen anything on this during my searching.

Best Answer

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    Answer ✓
    Isolating the reference part on  switch to is a great UX idea - thank you.
    Unfortunately FS would not help you with transferring properties. An API solution should be possible.

Answers

• Options
    @shawn_crocker
    This is an interesting use case. This actually sound to me like you want to derive a sheet metal part together with its flat pattern. I'll write an improvement request for it.
  • Options
    @lana
    Well, I thought that perfect solution would have been going too far.  Haha.  I have sort of gotten used to the fact that as far as I know, CAD systems seem to like to take the deriving of sheet metal parts almost to the finish line but stop short of actually making it completely useful.  I became used to this inexplicable short coming as solid works also feels it OK to give a user a derived sheet metal part that is no longer sheet metal.  If Onshape added the ability to derive the flat pattern in with the live sheet metal part, it would completely solve my problem and more.  In the mean time, Is there a way read the properties of a part, apply them to createdby geometry and delete the referenced part all in one go?  I can't seem to find a way to read the properties period.

PS.  Another solution that would most defiantly allow me to proceed in the way onshape was designed.  Right click on a part in an assembly, and chose "open linked document" or "switch to".  When the navigation is complete, it would be great if onshape would automatically isolate the part that was clicked on originally.  If this was that case, I would probably, more often then not, just use the sheet metal parts straight out of the originating part studio.  I think it is completely logical that most users would find this useful.  If your right clicking on a part to go directly to it, when you arrive at the destination, I feel it is a sure thing you want to see that thing not attempt to find it again possibly buried underneath other things after having already located it in the assembly environment.  Anyway, at least feature script lets us strong arm the system to submit to our will.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Isolating the reference part on  switch to is a great UX idea - thank you.
    Unfortunately FS would not help you with transferring properties. An API solution should be possible.
  • Options
    Well that settles it.  Its time for me to actually dig into api.
  • Options
    robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 92 PRO
    I'm with @shawn_crocker on this, we need derived sheet metal parts along with their flat patterns. In our case, we also need to collect all flat patterns from multiple derived parts (of a differnt configuration), and export. So, if you are thinking about this please at least carry the names across into the patterns export. i.e, if the sheet metal part is called "part 152", can its export be a derivative of this name?  the current renaming using ascending numbers that seem randomly assigned is pretty frustrating.  
  • Options
    robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 92 PRO
    ... also, can the outer cut line be a closed polygon please
  • Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 89
    edited February 15
    Hey @shawn_crocker,

I know this post has been a couple of years back and in the meantime we have Sheetmetal but you might still need those properties.

I just came across someone that needed to import SW Sheetmetal parts via Monarch and retain all the part properties. There is this Custom Feature that does that and consumes the imported geometry, might be useful for you or other people.

Custom Feature: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/490b3f3a8dd5c84e1807bc65/w/2789fb957544de1db53be216/e/d211c7a31bd083244758f127
    Forum Post: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8073/properties-configuration-with-part-arrays-or-with-many-config-parameters