Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal thickness property

CmartinezCmartinez Member Posts: 8 PRO
edited November 2021 in General
Hi everyone.

How can I get the thickness of a sheet metal part automatically?. The only way I have found is creating a custom property called “Thickness” and filling it manually, but I guess there must be a better way of doing this. Isn't there a system property for sheet metal thickness?.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Creating a variable for thicknesses is what I typically do anyway, since you can set multiple features to that and change them all at once. Very handy when you know thier thickness and bend radius will be common. 

But if you want to analyze a part and extract its thickness you can do that with a featurescript. But the end result will be a variable anyway. So I'd just stick to making the variable from the start. 

Unless your goal is to set a stocksize property for the part. In that case I have a featurescript that will do that automatically 

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Creating a variable for thicknesses is what I typically do anyway, since you can set multiple features to that and change them all at once. Very handy when you know thier thickness and bend radius will be common. 

But if you want to analyze a part and extract its thickness you can do that with a featurescript. But the end result will be a variable anyway. So I'd just stick to making the variable from the start. 

Unless your goal is to set a stocksize property for the part. In that case I have a featurescript that will do that automatically 
  • CmartinezCmartinez Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Thank you, John.
  • stuart_wood540stuart_wood540 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Hi. 

I have a similar requirement, and i'm trying to get my head around Custom Tables and FS. I have been following tutorials, but i'm getting confused. 

Would you be able to point me in the right direction as to how to extract the material thickness into a Custom Table. I have a custom property set and ready, called "Thickness"  I just can't make the connection !

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  • stuart_wood540stuart_wood540 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Thank you. I'll take a look at this.