Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem with loft tool in Onshape Exercise

Can someone please help me with this exercise. I'm doing an assignment for school using the Advanced Part Design course in the onshape learning center: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/advanced-part-design/complex-lofts/exercise-blower-scoop?page=2
I can't for the life of me get the shell feature to work properly on step 20 and even my teacher is stumped. 
Heres a link to my studio: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3eddf7a9772bf757b629578b/w/83e3a4ac39f5926fa72d02f8/e/879cfb1744215a7ad940f074?renderMode=0&uiState=61a791e4bef49c3d3123a86c

Thanks, 

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ethan. Looks like the tutorial in question is not publicly available, so I can't access the problematic step 20 or any of the preceding steps. Also, your document link is read only, so I can't make a copy to examine the model in detail. However, what I can see is that there is what looks to be a relatively sharp edge/radius that would probably be difficult to shell. Small radii turn into sharp corners when that surface is offset during a shell operation. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Try tweaking the vertex matching in your loft to achieve a smoother transition from one profile to the next.

• Options
    KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @ethan_schwartz577 it seems the inner radius of the arcs on the first profile sketch is incorrect. Yours are R1.5in but the exercises says R3in. (See Step 4). This might prevent it from shelling. You might want double check the other dimensions too.
  • Options
    kegan_kingkegan_king Member Posts: 7 EDU
    did you ever solve this I am also struggling to solve this?