Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to create an non horizontal/vertical (angled) ordinate dimension?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
From what I can determine there is no option to set the datum zero orientation to an angle other than vertical or horizontal.

I want to create ordinate dimension with respect to a edge where the edge/line defines the coordinate system for the ordinate dimension.

The following graphic is what I am after....

Is the above possible?

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had a need for this, but no. It doesn't seem like this is possible. Even if you rotate the view, ordinate dimensions remain horizontal/vertical. Sounds like a good candidate for an improvement request.
  • Options
    geoff_phillipsgeoff_phillips Member Posts: 4
    Great idea. I would use this when doing diagrans of stairs.
  • Options
    daniel_pinto240daniel_pinto240 Member Posts: 6
    I really need this.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I have used that in the past and am surprised it isn't available in OS. The old CAD simply accepted a local coordinate system (about equivalent to a mate connector) or a line at any angle as input. Useful.
  • Options
    Andrew_NethertonAndrew_Netherton Member Posts: 18 PRO
    I'm just discovering this isn't possible now, and have come here for answers.  Looks like I'll keep looking.  One would think this would be an easy improvement.
  • Options
    pmdpmd Member, Developers Posts: 63 PRO
    @Andrew_Netherton As a workaround you can add a Mate Connector onto the part and re-align the secondary axis to one of the edges. Then view-normal to the the Mate Connector (from right click menu) and create a named view. You can then insert that named view into a drawing which will show a rotated view so vertical and horizontal ordinate dimensions will align with the edge.