Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mirror and projecting sketch help

john_clinejohn_cline Member Posts: 4 EDU
Hay all, wondering if you could help me with some issues I'm having with some designs for my senior capstone for uni. I'm having some trouble projecting a given sketch onto a slightly curved shape so I can make a slight recess for a handle with its specific dimensions. I am also having some trouble mirroring the same properties to the other side of the part. I've been using Onshape for about a year now, but I'm no professionals so any help with this would be great.

Anywho, I've tried split and a Project tool from another forum page which hasn't really helped just yet. I managed to get something to work for the right-hand side, but now I'm stuck trying to get something symmetric don't the LH  side now.

Want to get this or at least the sketch projected to the other side. I was able to mirror it, but for whatever reason when I went to chamfer it, it went way oversized with the same values I used for the RH side. Very confused.

If you need any more info or some kind of access to the file, just let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Project: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d8ca1c870dad51789412ba41/w/f1b38ec026024f0813e5a630/e/1fa4e91156602622bbad7725?configuration=List_bttXnosFtOqDiY=Default&renderMode=0&uiState=61c64e5ba09ff83ad27d0893 

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I took a look, but the link is view only so I can't copy to play with anything, so my feedback will be a bit general, but still important if you plan to keep using Onshape or doing a lot of CAD in general.

The main bit is i'd recommend only modeling half of your design and mirroring it as late as you can. It's a lot of extra work modeling two of everything, and there's a much higher risk you'll accidentally make it slightly asymmetrical. I see you have a threaded hole in the middle, so that would have to be after the mirror, but you could model just half of almost everything else. If you're still early in your model, you could consider it practice and start over. If you're late in the game and just need to be done, you could cut away the half you don't like and mirror the half you do. It would work, but is sloppy practice.

As for making a plane offset from that surface so you can project your handle sketch, I made you a document with 2 examples for how I might approach it:
    method 1 only uses native features and is easier to precisely control the position of
    method 2 uses a custom feature Multi Mate Connector by @konstantin_shiriazdanov, which has the option of creating a mate connector anywhere on a face

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    john_clinejohn_cline Member Posts: 4 EDU
    edited December 2021
    Very interesting idea, I didn't really think of modeling only half the board and mirroring it that way; I'll have to keep that in mind for sure. An yes, I do plan on continuing to create things in CAD in the future professionally and for personal endeavors so every bit of advice really helps and I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I am a bit late in the game and need to start focusing on electronics, motor testing, building a battery and its respective BMS system, and then assembling everything before May. So, I guess Ill give the divide and mirror trick a go If I need to, but will not make it a habit. I'll take a look at the file you linked when I get a moment and update with the "finished" product when I get a chance to take a crack at it.

Thank you for the help so far!