Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to rotate two cylinders

matthew_anderson077matthew_anderson077 Member Posts: 2 EDU
edited January 2022 in Community Support
I have two hollow cylinders, with a bottom face touching a drive wheel (no gear teeth). I need the flat surface of the cylinders to spin alongside the drive wheels. I don't know what to do since I don't have gear teeth, nor am I using cams. Does anyone know what to do?

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Is this a design question or a modeling/mating question?
  • Greg_KeosayianGreg_Keosayian Member Posts: 26 PRO
    This seems like an assembly mating question and should be treated as gears and just make sure the revolution works out by doing the small minor math to avoid slippage so it matches what you would want. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Whether or not the model has teeth or not makes no difference in Onshape. You are not meshing the teeth to make an assembly motion.

Instead you simply use a 'gear relation' using both of the revolute mates.