Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Using Mate Connectors

paul_sundstrompaul_sundstrom Member Posts: 2
edited January 2022 in Community Support
I am/was a reasonably proficient user of Solidworks but no longer have access to a licence.

I have been playing around with Onshape, and expect to be buying a licence shortly.

Image 1 shows part of a bracket arrangement with a cylindrical shell segment attached to a flat bar.

I am having trouble mating the shell piece properly with the flat bar. I need to rotate it about the z-axis so it is symmetrical with the flat bar. To make this mate I am trying to set up suitable mate connectors on the shell and flat bar. In sketch editing mode I have positioned a mate connector which can be seen in Image 2, but I cannot see it on the part when in assembly mode.

How do I get access to select that mate connector when in assembly mode?

Is there a better way to set the mate to align the parts properly?

Thanks in anticipation. Cheers, Paul

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Is there a better way to … align the parts?

One option is – make both parts in the same part studio — in the position that you want them relative to one another

Then insert them into the assembly, and group them

• Options
    Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    To show/hide mate connectors, hit K. Mates can be realigned/offset by either using the offset checkbox in the mate dialogue or by realigning or moving explicit mate connectors on the parts themselves.

• Options
    Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 80 PRO
    edited June 2022
    You must draw both parts in the same Part Studio in the required positions in relation to each other.
    Then place a Mate Connector(MC) on an automatic proposed MC and let the other part own it.
    Then it it very easy to mate them together in an assembly.

I draw all parts in the same one part studio in the locations they shoud be in, in the finished product.
    Only when the regeneration time of the Part Studio reaches 7 seconds I continue with more parts in a new part studio.
    In the new part studio I use Derive to copy over the parts/sketches I need to continue to design new parts in realtion to the parts in the other part studio.
    Multi part studios is one of the great features of Onshape :)
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @paul_sundstrom if you make your document PUBLIC and post the url here I bet you'll receive multiple solutions from the community.