Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part mate connectors are disappearing in assembly

Hi,

I have been using Onshape for a while now and have encountered a weird and frustrating issue. I have defined mate connectors on some parts as shown in the images below:

In both cases the mate connectors are at the bottom of the feature tree. 

When I import these parts into my assembly these mate connectors disappear.

Things I have tried so far:
    - Right clicking in the assembly and clicking "show all"
    - Pressing K to show all mate connectors
    - Moving the mate connectors up the feature tree
    - Importing into a different assembly

Importing parts with mate connectors was working fine yesterday, and I have no idea what has changed.

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited January 2022
    Can you confirm the mate connector is attached to the imported part?

A mate connector can only attach itself to one part at a time in a partstudio. 

So if you want that mate connector on multiple parts in a partstudio, then you need to create a new one for each part. 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Just a random idea… Are the parts from a separate versioned document? Do you have the latest version with the MCs?
  • tom_simpson728tom_simpson728 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Hey sorry for the late reply,

Can you confirm the mate connector is attached to the imported part?

A mate connector can only attach itself to one part at a time in a partstudio. 

So if you want that mate connector on multiple parts in a partstudio, then you need to create a new one for each part. 
    Both parts are in separate part studios so I'm pretty sure that the mate connectors are connected to the parts.

S1mon said:
    Just a random idea… Are the parts from a separate versioned document? Do you have the latest version with the MCs?
    All the parts are in the same document as the assembly, so they should have the same version right?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO

S1mon said:
    All the parts are in the same document as the assembly, so they should have the same version right?
    Not necessarily, but do you have a link to your doc? May help see the problem rather than guessing everything that could happen 
  • robot_mechanoguyrobot_mechanoguy Member Posts: 2
    I found this thread when I had a similar problem, so I'll leave this here in case it's useful for someone else.  In my case, I had accidentally changed the geometry so that what was supposed to be one part in one part studio became two parts in one part studio.  This happened after I renamed the part itself, and somehow both "halves" had the same part name.  The mate connectors were assigned to the unintended half during the split operation, but I could not tell because they had the same name.  After I fixed the geometry so it was all one part again, the connectors could be assigned to the appropriate part.
  • Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 62 PRO
    Fixed my problem! Not that it was an issue, but more annoyingly impossible to detect why this mate was no longer coming along for the ride. This probably deserves a little featurescript for some kind of mate checker and whether or not a mate has it's entity still present in the doc.