Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to select points to fillet, not edges.

etta_chaseetta_chase Member Posts: 2 EDU
I'm working on this Titan 1m project and I need to fillet 8 or so points on my design. When I press the fillet button it will only alow me to select lines, not points. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    I was wanting to do this the other day too. Currently, this is not possible with the standard Fillet feature. If you really need this functionality, you could create a custom feature to do it.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    What does filleting a point look like? Can you provide an image from another CAD system or a real part?

There may be another way to do what you need.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    @S1mon I imagine it would look like this: 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    That looks a bit like a setback fillet, but without the edge fillets.

If I had to make that, I would be sketching some arcs, splitting faces, deleting faces and using a fill surface. Someone could write a FeatureScript to do that, but a more general version which would work on any corner (drafted, non-flat surfaces, etc) would be more challenging.
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @etta_chase

I’ve modeled the TITAN-1M before using Onshape. Had no problem doing it

But I thought I’d go back and review a video to see if I missed something. So I went and looked at a video made by TITANS OF CNC, The instructor was Billy Boyce

There were three pages that he went over

At the end of the first page he applied a fillet of .01 to 4 CORNERS / LINES

Just before the very end of the last page, he applied a radius of .195 to 13 CORNERS / LINES

But maybe I’m missing something here. After all I haven’t had my cup of coffee yet. LOL

Or maybe you’re talking about something other than the TITAN-1M by the TITANS OF CNC, as I saw no mention of applying a fillet to any points?

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    @etta_chase

There’s one other thing that you should probably be aware of. I would think that a number of people here that use Onshape would say that they’re not using best practices in that video.

Because they really should only model half of the part and then mirror it

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with Titan-1M, but if you do end up needing a setback fillet of the corner...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/833dffabd805010ce935bee2/w/d15b586cc7aa564eee76cc28/e/45bbda3a08e8edd18c192163
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Like @steve_shubin says, from a 3D modelling standpoint, you should not follow their example. It is not best practice.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI