Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Non-printing drawing notes

randy_youngrandy_young Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
Is there a way to make notes that are visible in Onshape, but do not print when exported to .pdf?   I'd like to make notes for me to remind me which field is a pre-fill in the title box, since some of my title box info is not the same name (ie: I use Title 2 and Title 3 for other fields).

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    If you have a grey background it means it is filled in through a property.
    Things that have no background are regular text fields in the drawing that will need to be edited manually.

Otherwise, no there is no 'non-printable layer'

• Options
    Thanks for your comment.  I understand how the grayed areas work, but if you use them for a different thing other than Title 1, Title 2, Title 3, etc and don't place them in the order in the properties window it is a bit confusing to get the info in the right spot.  I was looking for a solution to remind me which one to enter, but your final sentence answered this.
  • Options
    Oh i think I know what you mean, you can set your property to have a default value, then your drawing will show all of them by name, but you will neei to clear out each property you don't end up using. 
  • Options
    Not sure if your agreeing with my need or trying to give me advice on how to make them disappear. This problem stems from my own custom templates where many of the standard fields don’t apply. I fill in my document with various information that is useful to me for personal drawings but may not be helpful in a business situation. Since I only use basic, not enterprise, I can’t create custom fields so I recycle the Onshape standard ones. It’s just difficult to remember which Onshape field goes where. Since you’ve told me I can’t hide notes, I think I’ll print a copy of my template with the names of onshape’s fields entered into the fields and keep it by my computer as a cheat sheet. Not ideal but will work. 
  • Options
    I'm agreeing with you that it would be nice to have thoes fields display a property name rather than - - -

But also letting you know a work around until that time. 

You should create an improvement request for this if there isn't one already 
  • Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Is there a way to make notes that are visible in Onshape, but do not print when exported to .pdf?   I'd like to make notes for me to remind me which field is a pre-fill in the title box, since some of my title box info is not the same name (ie: I use Title 2 and Title 3 for other fields).
    hey randy

Have you tried this approach ? Having notes outside the drawings ?  Please look at the placement of MY SPECIAL NOTES

• Options
    Hi Raj.  I didn't think of this.  I just tried it and it works.  I've saved my "cheat sheet" names around the outer edges of my document near the fields I'm using and saved it as a WPT.  While these notes show for me, when I export to PDF, they are gone.  This is quite usable.  Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Jenny_JohnsonJenny_Johnson Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 9
    There is an option now to hide the placeholders and hide the property background

Jenny E Johnson
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, Onshape
    jjohnson@ptc.com