Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 31st, 2022

Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
edited February 2022 in New in Onshape
It's here! Onshape's second release of 2022 comes with the launch of Onshape Render Studio and many more modeling, visualization, and drawing improvements.

ONSHAPE RENDER STUDIO

We are excited to announce the beta launch of Render Studio. Onshape users now have the ability to create photo realistic renderings of designs from within the Onshape platform. With this integrated rendering capability designers and engineers can now create hyper-realistic images using sophisticated materials, textures and lighting within a high resolution, 360-degree environment - allowing faster, easier communication of design ideas.

Onshape Render Studio will initially be launched as a beta capability. During this initial release, we have included Render Studio with all of our Professional and Enterprise subscriptions while we continue to refine the experience and offering.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9cg7jce5h3
?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

MODELING IMPROVEMENTS

CONTROL POINTS FOR BRIDGING CURVES

Bridging curves now allow direct control of the curve via control points. This gives you enhanced control over the curves that you are creating and leads to higher quality curvature transitions.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6f10hloig4?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

VISUALIZATION IMPROVEMENTS

HIGHLIGHT SELECTED FACES

In this release, faces that are used in feature creation and editing are highlighted for improved visibility.

SELECT THROUGH TRANSLUCENT OBJECTS

When working with geometry that is behind a translucent part, you can now hold down ALT on Windows or Option on Mac to select edges, faces, and vertices that would otherwise be occluded.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6c5saj9yt7?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DOT ADDED FOR DIMENSION ARROWHEAD STYLE

You can now change the dimension arrowhead style to a dot in the Dimensions section of the Drawing properties pane.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5tiz6tvs2p?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

COLORED NOTES

You can now change the color of text in notes directly from the notes tool.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/r0cg7f0xe8?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

FEATURESCRIPT EVALUATION IMPROVEMENTS

In this release, evSurfaceDefinition and evCurveDefinition now return b-spline surfaces and curves respectively. There is also a new function named evApproximateBSplineCurve that will approximate any curve as a b-spline. Both of these updates give you more flexibility in capturing existing geometry for use in Custom Features.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

FILTER PROJECT DASHBOARD BY PROJECT ROLE 

A project role filter has been added to project dashboards in the Analytics section of Onshape Enterprise.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

LOCALIZATION UPDATES 

All of the technical briefings in the Onshape Learning Center are now available in Spanish. Change the language by navigating to the article and selecting the language in the pulldown.

SEARCH OPTION WITHIN COURSES 

A new search field is enabled at the top of a course outline in any self-paced course. This enables you to search for keywords and topics within the course.

VIDEO UPDATES

There have been new videos added to existing courses as well! Check out the updated Measure video in the Navigating Onshape course, updates to the DXF/DWG import video in the Importing and Exporting Data course, and a new video explaining how to use the Dependencies feature in the Part Design Using Part Studios course.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the 
changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Comments

• 3D_Brooklyn3D_Brooklyn Member Posts: 6 PRO
    A dream update!
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    edited February 2022
    On a Monday no less. Always keeping us guessing.

This is one of the more exciting ones for me. Thanks to the Onshape team!

(BTW the Change Log is missing the evSurfaceDefinition and evCurveDefinition improvements)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    oohhh, rendering   Sweet!
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    evApproximateBSplineCurve is very promising, does it respect end derivatives of the underlying edge? However for the kind of things that I'm doing with curves the best option would be if that function would take an optional argument with transform function of the form:
     (point: Vector, tangent: UnitVector, parameter: unitless[0, 1], edge: Qeury) -> 3dVector. That would be absolutely killing feature providing high-level control over nonlinear curve transforms, which is the basis of geometry manipulation.
  • Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Rendering - Thank you :)
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Rendering! Thank you!
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    It looks like the alt-select doesn't let you select through context entities when editing in context, I was hoping that would work.
    Arul Suresh
    PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Can't wait to test out rendering .. if it works - it's gonna be huge for us.

Thanks Onshape for giving it a stab. I'm sure within few updates we can put our rendering workstations for sale.
    //rami
  • hans_van_de_burgthans_van_de_burgt Member Posts: 11 EDU
    It’s a pitty the new render function isn’t available in the Education license version.
  • Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    edited February 2022
    Love this! Another great update!

Also, thanks for the brief overview @3dcad. Saves me from doing the same thing as in depth this morning :) 

• don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Wow!  Just. Wow...  Rendering.  Fantastic.  Gonna need to upgrade to Pro.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent update!!
    I am looking forward to seeing our Onshape Professional customers renders and trying out Render Studio at our Onshape trainings

En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/Lmac95RwEUk
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    @konstantin_shiriazdanovevApproximateBSplineCurve (as opposed to evCurveDefinition) does not make guarantees on the end derivatives.  You can always project the second-from-the-end control points onto the tangent lines to get "exact" tangency matching.  As for the general nonlinear transform, I've been thinking of something along those lines, but I don't think it's coming soon -- there are a bunch of more urgent things.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100
    Onshape team is the best! Thank you!!

I have applied an emission, but the lights will not render. Anyone know how to get the lights to work?
    Make sure you adjust the parameters of the lights particularly the "Intensity" which might need to be bumped up a couple orders of magnitude. Experiment!! 

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Finally rendering!  And it comes before I run out of SolidWorks visualize standard support!
  • Eleanor_CoffinEleanor_Coffin Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Really appreciate the custom note colors -- I'll be using that a lot.

Request to make it so the leader line changes to match the color chosen? Here's what it looks like right now.

Just trying rendering.  Hmmm, doesn't it seem almost exactly the same as before?  I was hoping it was going to be a little more onshape style of intuitiveness.  Does anyone know how to modify a material, save it to use again, upload texture maps?  Where did all the environments go?
    Just trying rendering.  Hmmm, doesn't it seem almost exactly the same as before?  I was hoping it was going to be a little more onshape style of intuitiveness.  Does anyone know how to modify a material, save it to use again, upload texture maps?  Where did all the environments go?
    Texture loading on materials is possible for sure - this is how I made this image: 
    There are lots more materials in the libraries which include capability to add colormaps, bumpmaps etc. And expanded library of environments is included: 
    In terms of usability and features, look out for a upcoming webinars and other sources of how-to's. 

Almost looks like the real deal, wish I know how to scale the background though

Ok, try this. Clear the selection (i.e. hit space bar) click on the gear icon ("Options") at the top of the scene graph. Look for the properties as shown below. You need to change the Virtual Dome to "Sphere" then play with "radius":

• christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    Well, I have been trying to watch the Render Studio video all morning but it is not loading. I figured I would just go play with it to see what it can to but after I add a Render Studio tab it says "Your current plan does not have access to the Render Studio feature.". I have a Professional plan. Do you need to request access? Thanks!
    Well it certainly is snappier and faster at rendering than what I remember. Although I was always using the free plans
    Well, I have been trying to watch the Render Studio video all morning but it is not loading. I figured I would just go play with it to see what it can to but after I add a Render Studio tab it says "Your current plan does not have access to the Render Studio feature.". I have a Professional plan. Do you need to request access? Thanks!
    I didn't have to request access last night, but this morning I had to accept permissions when adding a tab.

It may be your drawing hasn't been updated fully yet? Sometimes it takes a while for all of the Onshape drawings to be updated after a release.
    Try on a new document.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi christopher_quijano,

Render Studio should be working for all users on the Professional plan and does not require requesting access.  We've opened a support ticket to further investigate.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Nice release OS!

• StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    Beta rendering functionality is currently available only to Professional and Enterprise users. 

Does this mean when it is officially released it will NOT be available to Educational and Free users?
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited February 2022
    @StephenG
    From what I understand. Pro and Enterprise get early access / beta functionality for some abilities. Rendering will be released to the free and edu accounts once the functionality is out of beta. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

- I was wrong.  B)

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    @GregBrown
    Thanks for those details.  Looks like you are pretty comfortable with the interface.  I need to get my eyes checked.  I remember being confused last year over the materials/environments tab when this was reality server.  That galvanized sheet metal looks very believable.