Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Customization

I have seen that there are different 3rd party apps (e.g. from AppStore, or Custom Feature Script, …)

So for customization of onshape there are different application types:
• Using Custom features (https://www.onshape.com/en/features/custom-features) by using „Feature Script“ (onshape integrated script language??). Is that a proprietary scripting language?
• In the App Store (https://appstore.onshape.com/?sort=featured) there are three different application types like:
  - INTEGRATED CLOUD APP (How does it work? Architecture, programming language, API…?)
  - CONNECTED CLOUD APP (How does it work? Architecture, programming language, API…?)
  - CONNECTED DESKTOP APP (How does it work? Architecture, programming language, API…?)

Is there anyone who can explain the different types of applications?
Also I want to know the different architectures and what programming language and APIs are used for the different application types.
Is there a user group or community for customization off onshape?

Did anyone know if there is something like a "Software Partner Program" for onshape?

Best Answer

• chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Really good questions, I remember having a lot of similar ones when I started developing in FeatureScript and using the Onshape API.

• FeatureScript is a programming language that is proprietary to Onshape and is used to create custom features. If you do not have a Professional or Enterprise license, your documents are public and any custom features you write, as they are open source (MIT licensed), will be made public as well. 
    • Perhaps the name "App Store" is a tad misleading as the only apps you really install directly from there are Integrated Cloud Apps. All of these are built using Onshape's API in some capacity, and programming language will vary depending on the developers. I do not have any experience with uploading Apps to the App Store but from looking at the options available (someone correct me if I'm wrong here): 
    1. Integrated Cloud Apps are installed on your Onshape account, and you can use them by adding them as elements in a document. This is done by clicking on the plus icon at the bottom left when in a document, and selecting the application from the "Applications" option. 
    2. Connected Cloud Apps are other SaaS applications like Onshape that have some kind of integration with Onshape. Take OnScale, a simulation software that allows you to import Onshape models within OnScale's environment. These do not necessarily get "installed" on your Onshape account, but do ask that you sign in to connect your library of models to the SaaS app. 
    3. Connected Desktop Apps are similar to Connect Desktop Apps, the main difference is that Connected Desktop Apps need to be installed on your machine. 
    • The API has a lot of versatility. When I develop using the API I use PHP, though I know a lot of people like node.js and Python. There's a lot to go into here, but on a high level just understand that Onshape's API returns a JSON response, so most modern programming languages can use Onshape's API using HTTP requests. 
    • I don't believe there is a user group specifically for customizing Onshape. @richard_doyle perhaps you know of some places Martin can get plugged in with?
    • I believe there is a type of Developer Partner Program that Onshape has, and I think it's on https://dev-portal.onshape.com/ (though the site is currently down, keep an eye on the forums for updates).
    Whew, that was a text dump but hopefully it gave a decent enough groundwork. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com

Answers

• chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Really good questions, I remember having a lot of similar ones when I started developing in FeatureScript and using the Onshape API.

• FeatureScript is a programming language that is proprietary to Onshape and is used to create custom features. If you do not have a Professional or Enterprise license, your documents are public and any custom features you write, as they are open source (MIT licensed), will be made public as well. 
    • Perhaps the name "App Store" is a tad misleading as the only apps you really install directly from there are Integrated Cloud Apps. All of these are built using Onshape's API in some capacity, and programming language will vary depending on the developers. I do not have any experience with uploading Apps to the App Store but from looking at the options available (someone correct me if I'm wrong here): 
    1. Integrated Cloud Apps are installed on your Onshape account, and you can use them by adding them as elements in a document. This is done by clicking on the plus icon at the bottom left when in a document, and selecting the application from the "Applications" option. 
    2. Connected Cloud Apps are other SaaS applications like Onshape that have some kind of integration with Onshape. Take OnScale, a simulation software that allows you to import Onshape models within OnScale's environment. These do not necessarily get "installed" on your Onshape account, but do ask that you sign in to connect your library of models to the SaaS app. 
    3. Connected Desktop Apps are similar to Connect Desktop Apps, the main difference is that Connected Desktop Apps need to be installed on your machine. 
    • The API has a lot of versatility. When I develop using the API I use PHP, though I know a lot of people like node.js and Python. There's a lot to go into here, but on a high level just understand that Onshape's API returns a JSON response, so most modern programming languages can use Onshape's API using HTTP requests. 
    • I don't believe there is a user group specifically for customizing Onshape. @richard_doyle perhaps you know of some places Martin can get plugged in with?
    • I believe there is a type of Developer Partner Program that Onshape has, and I think it's on https://dev-portal.onshape.com/ (though the site is currently down, keep an eye on the forums for updates).
    Whew, that was a text dump but hopefully it gave a decent enough groundwork. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com