Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Wordle in Onshape!

chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
edited February 2022 in FeatureScript
So I'm sure a lot of you have seen all of these fancy posts on your socials:
Wordle 229 3/6

πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

and wanted to try the hit game, but you love Onshape too much to leave the site. No worries, because with the power of FeatureScript and configurations, it's possible to play Wordle in Onshape.Β 

Introducing Worlde:Onshape EditionΒ  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/432cac77d3d830ff93cfd91a/w/9d972999a8d896b190d72bb2/e/c0f7b4a87795cef0529c77f9

Jokes aside, I was inspired by Onshape's LinkedIn postΒ and thought to myself that it's definitely possible to make Wordle in Onshape, so I threw this together in about 2 hours. I'm keeping the document private and only sharing with Link Sharing so that it's not so easy to see the solution, but if anyone's curious about the code just let me know and I can send it your way. It was really fun to make, I'm glad I tried it out. The Wordle code is pretty simple (still blow away that the New York Times spent seven figures on 1900 lines of JS code). The tricky part was figuring out an elegant way of querying geometry and changing colors/displaying text.Β 

A couple of ways I want to improve on this:
- Cleaner interface
- Validate real words/spelling
- Use the API to automatically change the word each day
- Clean up some code/document it a little better
Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Good one!
    Took me 6/6 today. We'll see about tomorrow!
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Got it in 4 :smile:
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    This is awesome! This implementation is really good, especially the use of configs to make it really accessible.Β I've actually been kicking around the idea of making some kind of puzzle game with FS, but not really sure what yet.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me to play. I got the fabled 2/6 today ;)