Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

new parts in same part studio tab

hello. I am new to onshape and don't know how to add or create new part in same part studio tab. 
could somebody to guide me how to do it? 
cheers
adam

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    adam_sibilski,you can create part by creating some extrude 
    Press new in the dialog box.then you can get new part in the same part studio..

• Options
    adam_sibilskiadam_sibilski Member Posts: 2
    Narayan_K - this is not exactly what I need. 
    my "part list" in "part studio 1" contains only one part. next part I had to make in "part studio 2" (by a create tab button you mentioned.) in your screens or tutorials there are plenty parts in single part studio. that's my problem and I have no idea how to do it.
    cheers
    adam
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Then you can create a part studio by pressing "+" in the bottom left side

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    hello. I am new to onshape and don't know how to add or create new part in same part studio tab. 
    could somebody to guide me how to do it? 
    cheers
    adam
    I understand you to be asking how to create (in a single part studio) a number of different parts.

The first post from @Narayan_K seems to me to answer this question almost entirely, but perhaps what you are not doing (if you cannot make it work) is creating a new sketch for the second part, in a new location (but still within the same part studio as the first part).

Having done this, pick that sketch, and then follow
     @Narayan_K 's instructions in his first post to extrude (or rotate, or in some other way) create a NEW part from that new sketch.
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    adam_sibilski, we use a method called Top-down for modeling,I do not know if you have used other 3D softwares like Proe or UG,in Proe,we should creat a assembly first,then creat many different parts one by one in this assembly , but when we creat a new sketch, we should choose two reference lines for this sketch first. in UG, we also should get a reference by using"wave link" first when creat a new sketch,but in onshape  we can creat any sketch directly,and add dimensions and constraints from the edges of other parts or the lines of other sketch directly.When we creat a feature by this sketch, click "new" then creat a new part.

• Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Once you have made/finished part 1 in your parts studio, start a new sketch on any plane , away from your part 1 and create a new part. One thing I found out be careful not to run your new sketch into part 1 by mistake when sizing with dimensions or you will have troubles. So on more complicated assemblies it is best to create a new parts studio for each separate part and rename them. Then import them into your assembly tab for assembling.
    As a newbie myself still deciding how best to organise my parts/parts studios.
  • Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    peter_hall,if you model these parts as your method,I think there will be many part sdudios in this document, they are a little difficult to manage,accroding my experience,we should model them by creating part studios as less as possible,so top-down design method is also used in onshape.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    @shanshan , I agree management of the document for larger assemblies with a lot of parts can be an issue. I an inclined towards having one part per parts studio (renamed) and splitting larger assemblies into sub assemblies and having more than one sub assembly within the document with one assembly document beng called mainassembly. It is upto each user to decide what is best for them. OS format provides flexibility. 

A good use of the parts studio is when working with similar sized parts where you need to use the geometry of one part to make the next part , ie sketching onto an existing face etc. This then keeps the parts into one parts studio for that area of the work on the complete assembly. 
  • Options
    PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    The problem I've found though is that when we have to use imported parts from other manufacturers in an assembly.  For example, I have a project where I've mounted a robot onto a table.  I simply need to use the geometry from the robot base to transfer the mounting holes to the tabletop.  Since I can't edit a part in an assembly or import into an existing parts studio, I have to create a sketch in the robot file and project the holes to it.  Then copy that sketch to my plate and position the holes in the correct place.  It's a bit cumbersome.  I'm hoping we will be able to either add external parts to a parts studio or edit/create a part in an assembly.  Like @peter_hall mentioned, it makes sense to use a parts studio when working with similar sized parts.  Maybe even more for product design.  But, for large assemblies or machine design, I think it needs to be more flexible.
  • Options
    @pierre_de_giorgio
    Good to make your acquaintance, also dealing with robots! what are you doing with them?
  • Options
    PDPD Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    We are in the industrial automation industry, so most of what we are involved in is custom.  We do everything from pick and place to vision inspection to assembly.  We've used SolidWorks for years, but it seems to be getting more and more expensive to maintain seats.  I like the idea of Onshape, just need some more features before I can make the transition.  Especially since we use so many models from other manufacturers.  I'm hoping these come soon since I'd really like to take the leap.  
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @pierre_de_giorgio As a wood working (or more like sheet work) shop owner I would love to see automation industry transition into Onshape. I tend to buy things from several places (robot there, conveyor here, some additional device custom made and maybe something is done by our own); Onshape could union all these together in same model easily. And even smallest shops could use the very same modeling software. The best part would be that over time also big players would be dragged in. Maybe we could finally get rid of those crappy dwgs and wellcome exact up-to-date 3d models of production lines.

This is also why I would like to see archicad import in Onshape to have the buildings as a base for production lines. But from what I have understood from other threads, Onshape performance couldn't handle complete factory at the moment - but it's only about optimizing not to render invisible stuff.

@peter_hall What is your game with robots? I'm playing with older Abb robots (M93-M98) which are very good and economic choice for material handling.
    //rami
  • Options
    @3dcad
    Welding applications, mainly Mig welding robots , robot fixtures and general automation. We do get involved in other things sometimes. Pick and place, painting etc.
    I am looking at Onshape as a tool to develop ideas on projects then communicate with customers , suppliers , our designers etc.  I believe onshape and cloud based designing could vastly improve our ability to communicate anywhere in the world , although currently our projects are UK based.
  • Options
    kylan_osburnkylan_osburn Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I know this is an old thread but the "derive" tool seemed to help here.