Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dynamic Editing of a Spring

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
With the addition of helix in the last build, I thought it was cool to see a spring dynamically update while editing the cylinder that defines it.  Take a look...

Editing the cylinder and using the Final button allows the entire Part Studio to solve while you make dynamic edits.  Thought I'd share... ~Lou

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    OMG. I just found myself doing the exact same thing earlier tonight.
    Were you stalking my document? :smile: 
    Really cool spring behavior, btw. Will this integrate into motion studies too (assemblies)?

Dries
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of this....

http://www.deelip.com/?p=1296

• Options
    @DriesV I can't stalk you but geek minds think alike! 
  • Options
    kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    @PDY‌ i dont think it is the same. My understanding of the Dassault tech is that it simulates the spring. All Onshpe is doing is updating the driving curves very quickly...a neat trick for sure but not unique.
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @KevinQuigley How is the Dassault tech changing the geometry?  That post was a little old (4 years ago)  - but the tech is affiliated with some of the folks that are here now at Onshape.
  • Options
    @KevinQuigley I am not sure about that.  I believe it was also eye candy.  I could find out tho.  In this case I wanted to show how a cylinder definition can update with the model rendered using the final mode.
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Well as the guy who was onstage and who actually did that demo Deelip took pictures of for his blog. I might know a little about it :wink: 

Kevin is correct, other products have implemented dynamic springs.  Some do real geometry, some use graphical tricks. However that does not diminish the coolness factor of lou's example.  Onshape is using real geometry. 

Joe

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Could you assign mates to the cylinder that defines the spring in an assembly and have the spring dynamically update with the corresponding parts?  I am working on an assembly that contains a spring component.  It would be nice to add the dynamic spring to the assembly.

Thanks 
  • Options
    caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
    edited March 2015
    Coleman said:
    Could you assign mates to the cylinder that defines the spring in an assembly and have the spring dynamically update with the corresponding parts?  I am working on an assembly that contains a spring component.  It would be nice to add the dynamic spring to the assembly.

Thanks 
    That is currently not possible. I would think such dynamic springs would require a dedicated, much lighter, more efficient spring command. Sweeps are nice for their flexibility, but are relatively complex to regenerate. However, in my view, dedicated tools are needed for things like springs, molded threads, chains, belts...

Dries
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2015
    DriesVervoort_Caradon said:

Crrently not possible. I would think such dynamic springs would require a dedicated, much lighter, more efficient spring command. Sweeps are nice for their flexibility, but are relatively complex to regenerate. However, in my view, dedicated tools are needed for things like springs, molded threads, chains, belts...

Dries
    For Sure, I seconded this.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Roger that....thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    jakub_menoušekjakub_menoušek Member Posts: 11
    my Onshape documents with dynamic - animated spring
    https://youtu.be/7hY7iAkvN2s
    https://youtu.be/ZfmIU7kfym0
  • Options
    nicholas_radzykewycznicholas_radzykewycz Member Posts: 30 PRO
    @jakub_menoušek Links to public documents please? This looks awesome
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    Impressive @jakub_menoušek!  Now kindly show us how to to that.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    It looks like the "spring" is composed of a bunch of 180 degree pieces, and then each one is mated to the next piece at the end to revolve.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    That is an astute observation @S1mon.  Revolute-mating half-coil Part instances together appears to be a viable approach.  I was able to combine that approach with an underlying framework of 2 DoF "sliding-revolute" joints to animate a reasonable visual approximation of a coil spring extending and compressing.

I also added mate connectors on the ends of the spring assembly, for mating to other components in higher-level assemblies.
  • Options
    nicholas_radzykewycz said:@jakub_menoušek Links to public documents please? This looks awesome
    links to my public documentary are inscribed below the video in the comments on the YT channel
  • Options
    S1mon said:
    It looks like the "spring" is composed of a bunch of 180 degree pieces, and then each one is mated to the next piece at the end to revolve.
    Yes you're right. But 45 ° parts are better. I use revolute mate and parallel mate, with fixed anchored ends (fastened mate)
  • Options