Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make a boolean operation between a fixed part and a moving part ?

brunono553brunono553 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hi, I'm trying to make a boolean operation between a moving part (the cylinder on the screenshot below) and a fixed part (the rectangle):

On this version I made a boolean operation in context for the "end" position; but I need to do it for any position of the revolute mate connector (between limits of course).

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0d95035c769c2fb3af454038/w/2494b64f20d8e32a38f3b57e/e/a0a1f96a27f1325276f03a48

I'm aware that I could do it "manually" in this example; but I need this in the general case for another more complex application:

I suppose that this is a generic 3D design problem that have a particular name but I've searched a lot and found nothing similar. I searched in feature scripts as well but didn't found something like this :(

Any tip would be more than welcome !

Best Answer

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Other CAD systems have swept cuts using a solid (think grooves for cam followers, or toolpaths). Onshape doesn't have this, and I'm not aware of any custom features which do exactly what you want. In this particular case, doing it manually is likely your best bet. I might use the Silhouette Split custom feature to find the places where the two end position holes are tangent to the surfaces you'd need to create.

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Other CAD systems have swept cuts using a solid (think grooves for cam followers, or toolpaths). Onshape doesn't have this, and I'm not aware of any custom features which do exactly what you want. In this particular case, doing it manually is likely your best bet. I might use the Silhouette Split custom feature to find the places where the two end position holes are tangent to the surfaces you'd need to create.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    edited May 2022
    It can be done, but not really as a generic feature. This was done for a specific task, using configs and instantiator, to find the space envelope of a suspension:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/408b473b45dbdc2c1ea6f956/w/1d3090ad84ff6ff900bec08c/e/397b5c9a4764bb333502a3e4

In this case, you're always going to get some "faceting" depending upon the resolution you set, so it may be better to get the start and end point and create a surface between them.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brunono553brunono553 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    S1mon said:
    Thanks. I finaly done it 100% "by hand". Long but I made it.
    I didn't succeeded to use Silhouette Split in my particular case; but I'll keep in my toolbox ! Thanks for the hint