Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Seperate derived parts

HermiHermi Member, Developers Posts: 3 ✭✭
Is it possible to separate a part based on a derivation from the connected part
Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    Do you mean make a copy so the derived part does not update when the parent part changes? You can either reference a version (which will not update unless you ask it to) or copy the Part Studio using Duplicate (right-click tab at bottom). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    Hi @Hermi, this sounds possible, but I don't quite understand. Can you share a link to the document you are trying to do this too?

Derive allows you to keep a direct link to an original part. If the original part changes, your derived part will also have those changes.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • HermiHermi Member, Developers Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I made a derivative of a part from a friend. He has completed his project and will soon delete his document. If I know him right.
    I've already made some changes to the part. I don't want to copy his Part Studio and then start everything over again
    The ideal would be to simply unlink them.
    Or is there a way that I can copy his Part Studio and then use it as the original without redrawing everything?
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited May 2022
    Yes, there is a way to do that:
    • Right click the part studio tab.
    • Copy to Clipboard.
    • Go to your new document.
    • Click the "+" button in the bottom left.
    • Paste tab.

Neil's way works too. Right click the tab, Duplicate, then move the new tab to the document you like.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    He can delete the document if he wants, your document will be unaffected. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI