Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Weird infill when exporting to Cura

ZAPT_USER_1ZAPT_USER_1 Member Posts: 4 PRO
Howdy. I've got a part:

That's showing up in Cura like this:

That yellow is infill, not support. I think Cura sees some kind of surface at the top of the part. Wall and top/bottom thickness is .8mm and there's 2 walls and 3 top/bottoms. I think this plane may be to blame but it could be any of the other elements highlighted (or something else entirely):

Sketch 15 is what's being revolved to create the "wall" of this part. You can see it highlighted, it's vertical relative to the flat circular bottom. 

Full disclosure, I'm on day 7 of OnShape and I know this part is a bit of a mess. 

Any advice on why or how to fix? Appreciate the help in advance.
Tagged:

Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you exported the entire part studio, which includes multiple parts. You can see on the lower left that you have at least 2 parts listed. Instead, right-click>export the specific part you're trying to print.
  • ZAPT_USER_1ZAPT_USER_1 Member Posts: 4 PRO
    So, each of those parts is integral to the overall model. I did try exporting different combinations of parts to eliminate the one that's causing the problem but it persists regardless of which one is excluded. 
    You can print multiple parts at the same time, but unless you're using separate print processes/materials, it's easier to boolean combine what you want to print into one part and export only that.
    Right. I think I've boolean'd those parts together as much as I can, I think. Anything past what it is now and I start getting errors. I think extruding/revolving without being in the "add" tab probably caused this.

I think the root cause is just a bad model. I'm in the middle of remaking it (and I need the practice anyways). 

Hopefully I can avoid whatever error caused this. 
    Yeah, if your CAD model has errors, that doesn't bode well for the printer/slicer. Definitely at least get to the point where you have a clean model to export. You can do some tweaking in the slicer, but since you're the one generating the design, may as well fix it at the source.
    edited May 2022

Much more judicious use of planes (not extrusions surfaces) and being more careful about "add" and "new" got this. Much better. 

Also, it's all one part.