Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Variable Section Body FS Help

Ian_TaylorIan_Taylor Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hi, I am working with the Variable Section Body FS to try and create a serpentine flexure hinge that has a variable width. I am currently running into issues with keeping the section centered around the path line. Does anyone have experience utilizing this feature script and can tell me what I am doing wrong or whether this is possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @Ian_Taylor

I don’t know if Variable Section Body is the correct tool for the job

It is possible to get at least fairly close using the below method

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/9f54510aebe2cbc5769faf1c/w/8cc55fa152e4857592706d78/e/b5c67b080383d108641a6702

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @Ian_Taylor

The method that I’m using to taper this shape is based upon the principle of projecting a helix onto a plane to create a sine wave.

In this case, a portion of the elongated helix, that comes off as part of a very low amplitude sine, when viewed in profile, is extruded to create a tapered surface upon splitting the swept part

Being as I am only using a portion of one cycle of the sine, well that results in giving a full length single slope taper from one end of the part to the other

I repeat the same process to create the other tapered side of the part as mirroring or offsetting will not work in this case