Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

I need a little help with the correct use of English (in industrial manufacture)

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
Hello

What is the difference between:
- Fabricate (==> fabricator?  ==> fabrication?)
- Assemble (==> assembler? ==> assembly?)
- Manufacture (==> manufacturer? ==> product?

What is the correct use of English?
I means is it sector specific?
And/or volume-specific?

e.g. if I have a collection of parts that are magnetic, that are part of a final product, I might call it a "magnetic assembly"
But what is the (generic) name for the type of organisation that puts them together for the project, without creating a final "commercial product"?

Likewise:
- Does it make a difference if a part is created from  "basic raw materials" or from "off-the-shelf" components?
- What about if those parts are things that you have had made for your project?
==> i.e. what type of organisation would (attaching/bonding/connecting/joining/piece together/fit) your parts for you?

I am also confused about when to use which words... and the exact distinction between:
- "part"  vs.  "piece"  vs.  "item" vs. "component" (vs. unit?)
- "model" (as in model-making) vs. "prototype" ?

Also what really is "a product"?
Can a "raw material" anything that you can buy off-the-shelf from a third party?
But what do you call it, if it is something that you have had made specially for you?

All contributions welcome!
I know that I am using all of these words slightly incorrectly...

Thanks

J

Answers

• john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

PS Come to think about it, I only have a vague idea what these word mean:
    - Manufacture (==> manufacturer)
    - Make (==> maker?)
    - Build (==> builder?)
    - Hack (==> hacker?)
    - Product (==> producer?)
    - can an "artisan" be company?
    - how many units of something does a company need to make before they become a manufacturer
    - Likewise when does "bespoke" become "mass-produced"/"manufactured"...

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Hello

What is the difference between:
    - Fabricate (==> fabricator?  ==> fabrication?)
    ~ To Fabricate typically means to weld something, like a frame
    ~ A Fabricator is the person or company that does the welding
    ~Fabrication is the thing being welded (the frame itself)

- Assemble (==> assembler? ==> assembly?)
    ~To Assemble means to put all of the parts together, typically with nuts and bolts
    ~An Assembler is the person or company that is assembling the device.
    ~An Assembly is the final device that has been assembled

- Manufacture (==> manufacturer? ==> product?
    ~To Manufacture can mean a few things (more of a generic term for all of the above), but typically it is the process of making machined parts
    ~A Manufacture is the company that makes the parts / product
    ~A Product is typically a thing that is made efficiently with the intention of selling hundreds or thousands without modifications. That could be anything from a car to a pencil. 

What is the correct use of English?
    I means is it sector specific?
    And/or volume-specific? 
    ~Not sure what you are looking for here. 
    Sector specific sounds like something made for a type of end user. Like the industrial sector, or the commercial sector... 
    Volume specific sounds to me like a product that needs to be made in bulk to be worth using or making. 
    Like a car, if you want to make 1 it would cost millions. If you make millions they cost thousands... 

e.g. if I have a collection of parts that are magnetic, that are part of a final product, I might call it a "magnetic assembly"
    But what is the (generic) name for the type of organisation that puts them together for the project, without creating a final "commercial product"?
    ~If you're buying parts or widgets from someone, the are a vendor or supplier. 

Likewise:
    - Does it make a difference if a part is created from  "basic raw materials" or from "off-the-shelf" components 
    ~Made from raw materials, i would say they are manufactured. Off the shelf components we call 'purchased parts' 

- What about if those parts are things that you have had made for your project?
    ==> i.e. what type of organisation would (attaching/bonding/connecting/joining/piece together/fit) your parts for you?

I am also confused about when to use which words... and the exact distinction between:
    - "part"  vs.  "piece"  vs.  "item" vs. "component" (vs. unit?)
    - "model" (as in model-making) vs. "prototype" ?
    Part, piece, item, component are basically the same 
    When we call something a unit, we typically mean a small chunk of a larger project. Like: a conveyor would be a unit, and a fence that surrounds it may be another unit. Just a way to break a big thing down into smaller ideas. 

Also what really is "a product"?
    ~a complete component for mass production. 

Can a "raw material" anything that you can buy off-the-shelf from a third party?
    ~when we say raw materials we mean a stick of steel or sheet of wood, or plastic etc. 

But what do you call it, if it is something that you have had made specially for you?
    ~Depends on what it is.. A part, a machine, etc. 

All contributions welcome!
    I know that I am using all of these words slightly incorrectly...

Thanks

J
    See ~ for my answers 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO

PS Come to think about it, I only have a vague idea what these word mean:
    - Manufacture (==> manufacturer)
    ~to make

- Make (==> maker?)
    ~to create

- Build (==> builder?)
    ~same as assembler but may be better. 
    We call an assembler someone who can open an IKEA box and put it together. A machine builder would be able to make or modify that same shelf even if there were missing pieces or bad lengths etc. 

- Hack (==> hacker?)
    ~to do something out of the ordinary or to solve a problem in a way that may not be acceptable. 
    Like breaking into a computer without using a password. Or putting tape on a door latch so you don't have to turn the handle... 
    Hacker is the person doing the hack. 

- Product (==> producer?)
    - can an "artisan" be company?
    ~typically it is a very skilled person, but it can be a company's collective knowledge and skill. 

- how many units of something does a company need to make before they become a manufacturer
    ~1

- Likewise when does "bespoke" become "mass-produced"/"manufactured"...
    ~i don't know what bespoke means...