Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 19th, 2022

Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
edited August 2022 in New in Onshape
The summer fun keeps rolling on and so do Onshape's improvements!

USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON CONTEXT MENU ICONS

When right clicking on something, you'll now see icons in the context menu that appears.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/we3jw8jgaj?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SEARCH RESULT SORTING

When searching for something you now have the option to filter results by their modified date and their name.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/cafki53p5p?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

PERFORMANCE PANEL ALERTS

You will now see an alert on the performance panel if there are instances where an error occurs where your browser isn't supported, there is a region mismatch, or errors with WebGL.

ASSEMBLY IMPROVEMENTS

TANGENT EDGE DISPLAY OPTIONS FOR ASSEMBLIES

When working with assemblies, you can now toggle tangent edge display between visible, phantom, and hidden for a cleaner look at your model.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/djqxkwlldm?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

COPY/PASTE MATE NAME UPDATES

If you want to copy and paste instances in an assembly, mates associated with the copied instances will now add an instance counter to differentiate them from one another.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

ANALYTICS ACTION ITEMS DASHBOARD

You will find a new Action Items category when viewing analytics in Onshape Enterprise. The two new dashboards were created to provide another layer of accountability for task tracking, making it easier to understand pressing objectives and user workloads.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/61t8xcg2ty?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ADMINISTRATION IMPROVEMENTS

DATE ADDED COLUMN IN EXPORTED USER LIST 

The user list now includes a column showing the date when a user was added to your company when you export out to a CSV.

LEARNING CENTER UPDATES

VIDEO UPDATES 

There have been several video updates to existing courses in the Onshape Learning Center, including:

Top-Down Design course
  • Updates to the Creating in-context references video to include new interface elements showing which references belong to which context.
  • Updates to the Update a Context video showing new indicators for when a context is out-dated.
Introduction to Sketching course
  • An update to the Sketch Trim video to include the new Drag Trim option.
Direct Editing course
  • An update to the Create Selection Edges video to include new loop/chain option for open surfaces.

Detailed Drawings course
  • An update to the Centermarks video to include extension line updates.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    Legit, thank you team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Somehow I wasn't paying attention to the date. These updates are all happy surprises. Nothing earth shattering, but all useful things which add up (including the assembly tangent edges IR which can be closed).

Thanks!
  • Ben_Tek_PacBen_Tek_Pac Member Posts: 49 PRO
    Icons are awesome!
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    -Yes! Icons! thank you we need more...
    -Search Sorting , awesome!
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I like the icons. It felt good to see them just now as I started to work and instantly knew there must have been an update. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Always welcome context menu Icons.

Nice short and sweet update.
  • xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    edited July 2022
    Icannot believe I survived without context menu icons for this long! Thank you Onshape team :smiley:
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • ian_d_gardinerian_d_gardiner Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    Icons are super. Symbols are faster and more intuitive than words
    The user interface is one of the best features of Onshape; it doesn't call attention to itself
    Many thanks to the design team who continue to improve the thoughtful, clear, and clean enviroment we enjoy every day
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    The icons are great :)
  • Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Icons are the best, nice improvements  :) 
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Love the icons.....thanks Onshape!
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    We'll be discussing the update this morning at 9:30am EDT on a live broadcast of the Innovator's Insider podcast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTw-hyJ-Cw

Richard
  • caden_armstrongcaden_armstrong Member, User Group Leader Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    Is there documentation for this changelog item?
    App extensions: Support highlight behavior for saved selections of model elements
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://youtu.be/FfQVqi_TJRU
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    I'm hoping to try out the tangent edge display update for all of our assemblies, but so far many of them are giving this error:

It seems like unless all the parts and/or subassemblies are updated to the latest revision, this is not working. Is there any way to fix this for older versions?
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    S1mon said:
    I'm hoping to try out the tangent edge display update for all of our assemblies, but so far many of them are giving this error:

It seems like unless all the parts and/or subassemblies are updated to the latest revision, this is not working. Is there any way to fix this for older versions?
    Yeah, I've seen this too, interestingly I have an assembly where I can only set the mode in one configuration ("old" stuff presumably suppressed) but after it's set I can switch configuration and still get the expected edge display...
  • Ben_BrownBen_Brown Member Posts: 11
    It seems the context menu icons didn't get implemented in the drawing studio. Why is the drawing studio so neglected?
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great updates as always. 

Hoping for sheet metal enhancements soon. Would love to see loft, maybe a formed tool library, sketch bend, or even more robust mirroring of sheet metal features. 

I know the competition is creeping up as they have recently announced lofting.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Luis_HerranzLuis_Herranz Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    S1mon said:

Thank you for reporting this issue. Please create Support tickets so it can be further troubleshooted.
  • Gavin_MunroGavin_Munro Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Loving the right click icons and the revision improvements. Any improvements to revisions are always very welcome.

Drawings, releases and revisions are still a bit of a sore point for me and lets Onshape down a little. I'd like the ability to lock and release an entire part studio in one fell swoop, including assemblies, parts and drawings. Right now, while stepping through an assembly, each new drawing release causes previously released drawings to revert to "in progress". It would be great to be able to revison number all parts, assemblies and drawings in the part studio at the same time, so that every item gets the same number. Right now, some can be left behind, while others are updated.