Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rhino Inside?

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
edited December 2020 in App Store & Partners Apps
McNeel has announced a way to integrate Rhino and Grasshopper into other applications. Presumably this could run on cloud servers. It would be really amazing to add this type of integration of powerful surfacing and parametric design tools to Onshape.

https://www.rhino3d.com/features/rhino-inside/

Tagged:

Comments

• Jonathan_HutchinsonJonathan_Hutchinson Member Posts: 62 PRO
    Anything new to report in this area? Anybody tried this?
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Woah, I've never considered this, but would totally use it if it were a thing.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    I know that Phi is supposed to be the answer to our complex surfacing needs, but having Rhino/Grasshopper tightly integrated would be great.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Hmm. Is the (anonymous) down vote because I compared a product with 30 years of development to Phi (less than 2 years old) or do they just not like Rhino? I've tried Phi and talked to the developers. They are doing very interesting work, but the product is not ready for class-a surfacing. I will continue to follow what they are doing, but it's not there yet.

Alternately, I'd be very interested in surfacing tools built on PTC's ISDX (Optional part of Creo which was originally developed by Evans and Sutherland as CDRS and first released in 1990).

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @S1mon I was at PTC when we first acquired CDRS - awesome product for it's intended use and I would like to see us continue to steal PTC technology! I also like Grasshopper (more than Rhino), but I doubt it would be an easy transition due to the fact that it is still local desktop / file-based.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI