Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - August 30th, 2022

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited September 2022 in New in Onshape
We have another jam-packed update for you today! It includes major new pieces of functionality, as well as improvements to features you use every day. Let's get started.

ONSHAPE PROFESSIONAL

PCB STUDIO

We are excited to announce the beta launch of our new PCB Studio, now available to all Onshape Professional and Enterprise users. With support for industry-standard PCB file formats, and dedicated circuit board component libraries, this new functionality makes it easier than ever to collaborate with engineers designing printed circuit boards.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5ux82kmna5

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

INTERSECTION CURVE

Create a curve at the intersection of surfaces.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/r9j5an19y2

DRIVEN VARIABLES

Use measurements to drive variables.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/sqavxh1k0t

NESTED FEATURE FOLDERS

Feature folders in a Part Studio can now be nested.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/6s2as01ml3

MATE LIMIT ICON

Mate limits are now reflected in the Assembly instance list with a new icon next to the mate.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

DETAIL VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

Detail Views can now be defined using a closed spline or polygon. In the past, it was only possible to define a Detail View using a circle.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/kbfjqogcby

OVERRIDE BOM VALUE

Manually override any value in a cell of a Bill of Materials in a Drawing as long as the Part Number is defined in the row.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ytvvs8aj3g

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

Videos and exercises in eight different Learning Center self-paced courses have been updated to include training on features like Selective Merge and Partial Sheet Metal Flanges. Updates have also been made to five Technical Briefings. To learn more about what is new in the Onshape Learning Center, click the spoiler below.

Course Updates:

• Detailed Drawings course

• An update to the centerline video to include how to automatically generate centerlines in views.

• An update to the Section and Detail view video to include new label leader options.

• Branching and Merging course

• Updates to the merging videos and exercises to include the new selective merge options.

• Navigating Onshape course

• An update to the Documents page video to include sorting search results.

• Advanced Part Design course

• Update to the Boolean video to include the Keep tools option.

• Part Design Using Part Studios course

• An update to the Hole feature video to include tapered pipe hole as a selection option when choosing hole type.

• Simultaneous Sheet Metal course

• An update to the Flange video to describe how to model partial flanges.

• An update to the Toolbox exercise to include the new partial flange feature.

• Document Management course

• Updates to the Advanced search video to include sorting options.

• Onshape Surfacing course

• Update to the Ruled surface video to include the new cubic interpolation option.

Technical Briefing Updates:

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Tagged:

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Looking forward to trying this all out. Some major functionality!
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job, Personal favorites override in BOM and closed spline or ploygon for detial views. 
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    And I literally just logged in to do some PCB dimension work.  Time to try that out!
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Interestingly this one is in the 1.152 release notes, but not mentioned here: "New Arena integration support (Enterprise only)". Oh, and now that I'm scrolling back, it was also mentioned in 1.151 "New Arena Integration (Enterprise only)"

I've seen some private demos, and now this is public. I hope we see more soon...
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    These updates are great. I really like how the drawings keep getting better.
  • mortezaPourmohamadimortezaPourmohamadi Member Posts: 9 PRO
    Well done team! Driven variables create a whole lot of new automation scenarios.
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    Another great release! Thank you! I've been wishing for measured variables and now they are here!
  • Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
    edited August 2022
    Great Improvements again! Thank you a ton.

I love the new options for the detailed view. Also the driven variables are a great improvement.
    I´m stoked for the next update soon :love:
    Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter
  • Hans_Leirvik_1Hans_Leirvik_1 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Great release :)
  • ismaël_juhoorismaël_juhoor Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Nested Folders and Driven Variables are the improvements that will most benefit my Part Studio workflow. Great job Onshape Team !
  • ladislav_pochopladislav_pochop Member, HON-TS Posts: 6 PRO
    Nice improvements, thank you.
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Went to go check out the REST API update in API Explorer.... and realized that the API documentation received a serious facelift sometime in the last....year? In case anyone else missed it - https://cad.onshape.com/glassworks/explorer :smiley:

Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Very nice update!

Especially the Driven Variables!
    If I remember correctly, this was a project of an Onshape intern :smiley:
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/AZu4gKCpY64
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Long waited driven variables - Awesome!  
    //rami
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited August 2022
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mlaflecheCAD , I hope you're on the East Coast...
    It's 6:20 in Boston, right?
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    @emagdalenaC2i I am Eduardo, but my partner Richard Doyle is in Las Vegas 3 hours behind, he really has to wake up early!!!  But I could not sleep anyways, I was too excited to get my PCB library in order for the show at 9!
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    My favorite by far: Driven variable! Doesn't mean I dislike the rest...  :)
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Some nice improvements - thanks!
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    intersecting curve!  That is a great one.  being able to create a different shape for a detail view will also be used a lot by me.  Hoping the view location will be able to be move without having to snap onto view geometry.
  • sam_hollandsam_holland Member Posts: 20 PRO
    Measurement variable is huge! Can't wait to implement pcb studio on our next project
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice update. But I wish the measured variables could do more than just lengths. Here's a link to the improvement request.

Mass Property Support in Measured Variable
  • Phillip_BPhillip_B Member Posts: 33 PRO
    PCB Studio is really nice!

But I have noticed a few problems when modifying a board and loading it back into PCB Studio:
    - The first time, PCB Studio did not import the modified board. Suddenly only the components were visible (in PCB Studio).
    - On the second run (in a new document with the same data) it also synchronizes and after that board and components are in PCB Studio, but the changes to the board are not implemented (board was updated in the assembly).

This does not run completely smoothly yet. Let's wait and see.