Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Assemblies - Using different connection types on a single mate.

Cobalt_EchoCobalt_Echo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited September 2022 in Community Support
In my assembly, I have an arm that I want to push the door open with.  I need the end of the arm to basically be a ball joint + planer joint to simulate the arm moving however it wants to on the door.  I can get one or the other, but not both types to work at the same time.  Any suggestions?

Assembly 1:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/686b26b7c6bc46d6b7123e94/w/d32355be0cd85d20b5355e5b/e/de29d7c44ccb179fc4335142?renderMode=0&uiState=63249350600a5e345c721835

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    I think you will need to insert an intermediate "helper" surface (just a flat face should work I think): mate that flat surface to the door with a slider mate (with limits so it can move away from the door but not through it), then mate that surface tangent to the ball end of your arm.
  • Options
    Cobalt_EchoCobalt_Echo Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    @eric_pesty I tried what you mentioned, using something in the middle.  No luck.  Setting errors still.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,504 PRO
    @Cobalt_Echo
    Change the planar1 mate to a parallel with 0 max z limit.
  • Options
    tim_hesstim_hess Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Or - try using a tangent mate by selecting one edge of the arm (the edge closer to the hinge) and the face of the door.