Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why can I not extrude from a plane contained inside a solid? (cannot extrude from an inside plane)

yehia_boctoryehia_boctor Member Posts: 4
Examples on YouTube shows it is doable, but it is not allowing me to do it. It is allowing me to draw on the plane I created or was a primary plane (was contained inside my solid). But once I accepted the sketch I created (just a simple circle or a polygon) it turned to dashed lines and would not extrude. I have split the solid with my sketch plane, drew my sketch, extruded it with a remove or an add, then united the two parts of the solid again. I am sure there is an easier way of doing this. Is there something wrong (maybe) with the defaults that I am operating under, that I am not aware of that is not allowing me to do this.  I know it is doable (I've seen it on YouTube), so, why is it not allowing me??? 

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    The solid is just obscuring the selection of the sketch - either select the sketch from the Feature list or use "Select other" to pick through the solid geometry. https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/select-other.htm?Highlight=select other
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 197 PRO
    "Select other" is powerful!  I also sometimes just hide the parts that are obscuring my sketches.

• yehia_boctoryehia_boctor Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, Matt, for your response. I tried to reproduce what you demonstrated but, every time when I try to define what I am trying to extrude, it does not show it as available to click on.  It would allow me to highlight the borders of the shape only, and thus it would extrude a surface?!?! I could not get it to highlight the area to extrude a solid. How can I make a short video like the one you did to show you what I am going through. 
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    But once I accepted the sketch I created (just a simple circle or a polygon) it turned to dashed lines

If the lines are dashed, then the polygon is probably not showing a shaded fill within its' borders
    If that is the case, then you will not be able to make a SOLID EXTRUDE

So you need to change the dashed lines to SOLID lines
    Once you do that, then there will be a shaded fill within the borders of the polygon, and you will then be able to make a SOLID EXTRUDE

Another possible reason could be that you sketched a polygon that did NOT make a fully enclosed shape
    If a sketch is fully enclosed, there will be a shaded fill to that shape, and then that shape can be used to make a SOLID EXTRUDE

Also, make sure extrude is set to SOLID