Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Absolute BEGINNER here. Where is SQUARE ONE [i.e.-how to open a basic ‘sketch’ screen & draw lines]?

d_quigleyd_quigley Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Never used any type of CAD software. Even the ‘fundamental and ‘beginner’ labeled stuff seems to assume some base knowledge.
—-Where do I gain that base knowledge. If the answer is ‘Oh just dive in and play around.’, consider me drowned.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    You could watch the fundamentals of CAD video at learn.Onshape.com 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 53
    d_quigley said:
    Never used any type of CAD software. Even the ‘fundamental and ‘beginner’ labeled stuff seems to assume some base knowledge.
    —-Where do I gain that base knowledge. If the answer is ‘Oh just dive in and play around.’, consider me drowned.

If you look at the top right of your screen after you log in, you will see the sections that contain notifications, learning, help, share and your account details. If you go to learning center you can choose educational courses. I did several of them and I found them super useful as long as you start with the basic ones that explain how onshape works. Without this basic simple stuff it will be a struggle, so please start there. I promise you it is not that daunting after a few attempts. These educational videos also end with self tests and you will be handed a certificate upon completion.
    Try them, they are really good!